Split line touch up!

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by tauruck, Feb 15, 2009.

1. tauruck

tauruck Junior Member

Guys, I need some advice on a possible touch up. The deal is that I'm using polyurethane paint instead of gelcoat and after demolding there might be a few areas that might need a touch up. Now I know the two halves of the mould I've made butt up very well but as the product won't be painted after release I would like some input from the experts. The product is a fishing ski and I'm using epoxy. When I remove the flash line can I then polish the area as one would with gel coat? What's the deal on spraying more urethane over the affected area? Thanks all.

2. Herman

Herman Senior Member

OK, let;s see if I understand correctly:

You have a (perfect) mould with a split line. You spray in PU paint, then epoxy laminate. Right?

After demoulding, clean up the split, lightly sand, and touch up the sanded area with some new paint. Then polish the complete product to remove overspray and feather the repair into the original paint.

Should be doable...

3. tauruck

tauruck Junior Member

Thanks Herman. I kinda figured that was the way to do it. Now I know for sure. This is my first boat (fishing ski) and although I've been around high performance composites since the 80's I've never really been into large scale production. Trying to keep the finishing to a minimum.