Glass fiber weaver

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Fanie, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

I started to build a weaver to weave 300mm wide woven roving with the sides closed so the threads cannot pull out.

The glass reels will be used to spin a hull onto a collapsible boat shape bobbin which gets taken out of the hull once the glass cured. I will also motorize the glass wetting machine feeder which will make the spin process easier

I couldn't find any one who will weave me the glass I want, so I have to make it myself. The advantage will be that the glass is going to cost me close to half the current price. About 90 reels of glass thread should produce around 1000kg of woven, enough to finish two sailing catamaran hulls of 9m.

I've been busy with it for a while and it seems it doesn't go anywhere due to the crappy economy :mad:

2. Herman

Herman Senior Member

Have you contacted Selcom in Italy? They have a small weaving machine that could do it.

3. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Hello Herman,
    No I haven't, IT is a ways off and just getting the glass here already makes it expensive, you also have to consider that our currency is ~14 times less worth than the Euro. That is what communism does, it fcuks countries up,

I'm just carrying on as I can. If It never get it done, then it wasn't meant to be.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.