Max engine and grammes per kw/h

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by lazeyjack, Apr 18, 2007.

1. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

http://people.bath.ac.uk/ccsshb/12cyl/
    please take a look
    This is by no means the biggest and it is a rather simple description and write up but it should give some idea of what is happenning in the world of 2 cycle ships engines
    You should imagine the start air timing, very complex
    Myself I prefer the 3 and 5, cyl engines, the beat is something for the ear to behold
    imagine a cock up in the machining of the bearing seats in the crankcase!! one stuff up could mean scrapping 300 tonnes of castings,

2. StianM

StianM Senior Member

This engines is not casted. They are velded together.

3. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

sure and they drileld the crank bores with a 3/8 inch drill from Walmarts I guess

4. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Ive seen these pictures some time ago.

The thing is where do they make them --in the factory and if they do how do you get it out of the factory and into a ship or are they made in the ship ??? beats me

5. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

often they are built up in the ship well actually always!! as they cant be shifted by road, or wheelbarrow,
    bedplate, lower crank case half, upper half, cyl jackets with liner and so on, and actually they do have a model same builder 205000 bhp
    i,ve been sitting here for a whole bloody week, designing so relieve the frustration by coming here now and then
    notice the big palstic thingies protectiing
    the shells once they are in situ

6. StianM

StianM Senior Member

You nead a black and decker or dewalt to drill this holes.

Seriously they weld the engine. It's not called a block, but a frame.
    The crank is moustly macined in several parts and presed together or they are hamered out from once pice using heat and huge hydraulic hamers befour it's machined.

Only the pistons, rods and liners are casted if I remember corectly.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.