Aluminum Jon boat plans

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Matt F., Jan 20, 2003.

1. Matt F.

Matt F. New Member

I am looking for plans to build a 17 foot aluminum jon boat. If you know of any plans, books, or websites on this subject, I would very much appreciate it. Thanks, Matt

2. jonathan

jonathan Junior Member

3. Guest

Guest Guest

What is the definition of a jon boat anyway? I always thought a jon boat was less tapered than that.

4. Matt F.

Matt F. New Member

I ran across that one, but thanks. I would classify that as a drift boat, I am looking for a jon boat (flat bottom boat). Here is a link to a picture of a jon boat with a modified v hull: http://www.lowe.com/FishBoats/Utility/Roughneck/R1760MT.cfm

I would think that one of these boats would be very simple to build. I like to get all the info possible before I tackle a new type of project. If the Jon boat turns out well, maybe I will tackle one of those cabin cruisers. Thanks for the input guys, keep it cominig! Matt

5. Guest

Guest Guest

i am looking for plan of a 20 ft flat bottom boat made out of aluminium please help me because in quebec,canada we got nothing for that type of boat. only a few type of model.

thank you ben

6. trouty

trouty Guest

I've built one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can get the plans - or a full plasma cut kit at CDM

http://www.curran.com.au

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers!

7. badges65

badges65 Junior Member

Have a look at these hulls, better than a flat bottom less hp to drive and greater stability! will handle rough water counditions as well
    don

Attached Files:

8. DanAyo

DanAyo Junior Member

Hi Matt,

I saw your post about aluminum boats. I am a charter fishing captain and build my own skiffs. did you ever get the help you needed?

Trouty - where are the images that you posted above. I only see image placeholders

Danny Ayo
    flyfisher@flyfishlouisiana.com

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Additional boat plans

Check into www.boatdesigns.com they also have johnboats and other low draft boats (ie for shallow water)

10. trouty

trouty Guest

Darn it!

Looks like my photo's dissapeared when Fishingworks stopped allowing linking outside their site!:rolleyes:

Oh well - I guess it's back to "stealing Bandwidth 101" Classes for moir!:D

Lemme see if I can get an image or two uploaded here just to keep the thread up to date eh?

First photo - tack welding kit together, 7 hours go to woah.

Cheers!

Attached Files:

11. trouty

trouty Guest

Ok Maiden Run

Complete with Milk Crate for a seat!

Took about 3 weeks part time to get her fully welded up and in water.. ~ 40 hours work roughly.

Cheers!

Attached Files:

12. trouty

trouty Guest

Stable

enough for two to stand up to fish in still water.

Attached Files:

13. trouty

trouty Guest

Then

I figured she needed a console / safety gear locker, and a flotation thwart seat down the back for me to sit on, as well as underfloor foam, fire extinguisher, bilge pumps (elec & manual) ships clock & barometer, epirb, chart tube, sounder, compass, GPS, radio...ahh did I forget anything?..oh yeah a sat phone, twin batterys, electric troller & an extra 25 litre tote tank for more range.:cool:

Attached Files:

14. trouty

trouty Guest

Of course

Now she weighs so much that the lil 25 hp Mariner just wouldn't quite plane her with anything but me aboard - so much as a stiff headwind would knock me off plane and one passenger turned her into a slug displacement 6 knot vessel that drank fuel like it was going outta style.

So...a bigger OB was in order..

50 Horses of Merc 4 stroke - turned her into a very comfortable rocket sled....albeit a very *** heavey one especially with the bow up on the bank and my fat a$$ down the back!!:eek:

No problemo with extra gear now tho! :p

Attached Files:

15. trouty

trouty Guest

For anyone

contemplating building thier own alloy boat from a kit - there are a series of two Aussie boating magazine articles, where the female editor welded up her own 4.75 meter (16 ft) boat from one of CDM's Plasma cut kits.

You can get back issues of the two magazines containing the articles &photo's on the CDM plate boat project below.

SeaMedia Site for Fisherman& Boatowner Magazine HERE

You'd need the back issues numbers 61 from Jan 2001 & 62 from Feb 2001 available online thru the backissues order link off the mainpage link above to read up and get an idea of how hard or easy such a project can be.

The Link to Phil Currans CDM website for online photo's of completetd kits and range of plans / kits available is above on my earlier (initial) post in this thread.

Disclaimer:
    I'm not assocuated with Curran/ CDM in any way other than having built one of his kit boats and know the guy as a friend I fish with occasionally.

Cheers!

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.