Steering chase size...

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by FloatSkinny, Jul 30, 2010.

1. FloatSkinny

FloatSkinny New Member

Remodeling my fiberglass tiller style boat to a CC style...
    Curious to know what kind of chase, or conduit would I need to install from the center of the boat to the transom...
    Basically, will the TeleFlex steering system I intend on buying fit in a 1" pvc conduit... or do I need to go bigger...
    The boat is 16feet...
    How should the conduit be ran...
    Straight back, or should it be ran to the aft, and then towards the stern...
    I would think that'd be more bends, and less accuracy... I dunno.

Thanks for your help guys...
    Bear with me, I'm a rookie...
    :)

2. keysdisease

keysdisease Senior Member

Most boats of this type run an approx 3" chase. There will be MUCH more than just a steering cable, and with the nut that cable alone will need more than 1".

The engine cable that carries the insturments and ignition wires, the control cables (2) for throttle and shift, battery cables if the battery will be in the console, a cable for the transom mount transducer for the depth finder, maybe a stern light wire.

Sometimes 3" isn't enough.

It should be run towards a corner because the cable needs to attach to the motor from the side. Where you are there should be hundreds of boats that you can take a look at.

Steve

3. FloatSkinny

FloatSkinny New Member

Thanks Steve.
    I wonder if I shouldn't just run two chases then...
    One strictly for the steering, and the other for electronics, and whatnot...
    Thanks.

4. keysdisease

keysdisease Senior Member

Collect up the stuff thats going to go thru and take a look. No reason you can't run multiple chases, no reason to dedicate one for the steering cable either. It's amazing how quickly any chase on a boat gets choked.

One suggestion, when your pulling stuff through leave a line to use as a snake so in the future if you need to add something your life will be much easier.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.