Build new or buy used?

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by couchcaptain, Aug 3, 2008.

1. couchcaptain

couchcaptain Junior Member

:confused: I am considering building an Elco 26 from a Weston Farmer plan. I have cabinet making skills but have never built a boat before. I can see my first problem will be coming up with a structure to build in. Beyond that, I am sold on cold molded hulls for strength, weight and durability features and would want to incorporate this into the boat. My problem is the 3-5 years I imagine it would take to finish the project. This is where my question lies: Is it practical to buy a used boat and convert the hull to a cold molded variety, or if I had it done at a shop, would it cost well beyond the value of the boat when it was finished? If I did get a used boat(Under 30') I feel I could easily repair or redo the topside, motor, etc.. but the facilities needed to do the hull would put it out of reach for a home job. Thanks in advance

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.