Export a complex Solidworks model into any hydrostatic analysis package?

Discussion in 'Software' started by TINKERTAILER, Sep 3, 2012.

1. TINKERTAILER

TINKERTAILER Junior Member

I have taken on the challenge of drafting my first production vessel (a 30m fishing boat) Working from basic line drawings provided by the naval architect I have created a full model of the vessel hull as a single multi-body part by solid modeling the frames/stringers and using a boundary surface to develop the hull plates. (Okay so far ?) From here I wish to export my completed Solidworks model into a free or low cost software package that can provide basic hydrostatic and stability information to check my model against the architects pencil and paper calculations. Possible anyone ?

2. quequen

quequen Senior Member

Tinker, you shoul export to a .wrl (VRML file) and import into Delftship-Freeship, but be aware, it's not so simple. Try first with simple volumes.

3. micspoko

micspoko Senior Member

Export only a outer elements like hull, decks and superstructure without inside elements. And export in Iges or VRML file. From SolidWorks get a weight of ship and use this data for calculation

1 person likes this.
  4. TINKERTAILER

Thank you for the replies. Most appreciated

You are right Quequen about the VRML path not being simple! The resulting hull comes out wildly distorted when exporting the outer surface from Solidworks. I assume this is a tried and tested method so I will keep battling with it for now. In the meantime can someone please tell me how to set the correct XYZ access when I import the VRML...

That is, In DELFTship/free!ship when I import the VRML the true profile view becomes the bodyplan / the true plan view becomes the profile etc so in effect I have a vessel 30m high 8m long with a beam of 1m

5. TINKERTAILER

Micspoko, If i successfully import my model into free!ship or the like am I able to specify the center of gravity and weight for the total vessel ?

6. quequen

quequen Senior Member

Tinker, you can do all you are asking for in Delftship or Freeship, but, as said, it's not so simple, you must first have a good knowledge of Delftship because you will certainly need it, to make Delftship calculate what you are searching for.
    You must set the general settings in DS to match your model (LOA, Beam, Disp, Draft)
    You must scale, move and rotate your imported model into DS to the standard position: stern at x=0, bow to the right, and dimensions as needed.
    At layer's toolbox you must set densities and thikness of your layers
    Very imortant: if your imported model is symetric, you must set symetry off into DS layer's toolbox, and set hydrostatics on again (or you'll be duplicating your data output).
    Then you'll be close to obtain a good hydrostatic report of your imported model.
    As said, it's not so easy...;)

7. micspoko

micspoko Senior Member

If you properly set a density and thickness of your layers you by able to do properly mass and cog for you project.

If you only import a outer shells you must set a properties of layers including the weights of stiffeners

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.