Texas Dory

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by kharee, Jan 28, 2015.

1. kharee

kharee Junior Member

I have acquired a set of plans for a 30' sea skiff. Sea Rover. Drawn by Wm. Atkin for Capt. Jim Orrell. Its a real Doozy! 7" 9" beam. Lapstrake planking. It needs a real boat builder to do it justice.

I am considering using it as inspiration to build a Jeff Spira dory which is closer to my ability to finance as well as more practical for a first build. I am thinking about stretching Spira's "Clemente" a 24'er to 30 ft. and building it as a weekend lake cruiser. A beer and barbeque style finish.

Dream 'til I die or give it a try. My options are few. At 68 y.o. and a little shaky I am more concerned about my health than my skill set. Wish me luck.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Are you stretching the boat in length only? That is quite a large percentage increase.

3. kharee

kharee Junior Member

Lengthening only. 24' to 30' for one design. 27' to 32' for another design.Spira's simple flat bottoms present no problem has he has a few designs he suggests increasing length and beam. He has some nice stout boats for the working man. A couple of grand and you are boating on the lake! Check out his site.

4. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Senior Member

kharee,
    I also had very similar thoughts.
    Mine were to lengthen the 24' Key Largo to 27'.
    Just simple stretch in length being faithful to the rest of the design would involve different dimensions for all the frames but one. All the stretch amidships would be far easier but not be quite "fair". I think I was thinking about adding 2' to the midship and one foot by just extending the stern.

All these thoughts drifted away as I recall a big dory a friend and I modified in college. Was a Banks type w double ends and a totally flat bottom in both dimensions like the Spira boats. We put an OB well in right at the stern so in effect it had a small transom. It was a 20' Dory and we used a 35hp Johnson OB.

Big mistake. It handled badly. Very little directional stability and sharp turns were by my recollection almost scary.

I came to the conclusion that above hull speed and below planing speed some amount of rocker was required for a good boat. But it may have been some other aspect of the old Banks dory we modified (like too narrow a transom) that gave her the bad manners. But the Spira boats are about as simple to build as any framed boat and would like to hear how they really do handle in waves and turns.

I have a narrow boat w even a narrower transom and powered up over displacement speeds it gets a bit squirly too.

Attached Files:

5. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Took a look at the Spira Dory ??? not really a dory in the true sense of the word. Out here in the north east we call these "flats" and it was normal, within reason ,to stretch them out say from 16 to 18 feet without altering any of the other dimensions. 18feet was about as large as they were built as we had launched them off and surfed them onto the beach. They are still popular in the lobster fishery as shown in this past summer's photos of Lark Harbour on Newfoundland's west coast.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  6. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Senior Member

Wonderful pic's Viking North,
    They have more flare but look a lot like the surf dories on the Oregon coast USA. The rocker is almost all fwd and the aft run looks quite straight. Love your pics .. especially the orange and green boat pic .. beach houses and all. And I see your boats are all with full width sterns. Very gad to see boats like this still active and well cared for.
    I need to come to Nova Scotia and Maine to wallow in boats.

7. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Thanks ER, I'm originally from Newfoundland, but never really got to travel the Island much so made it part of my bucket list. A great plus, while it is a modern society many of the inshore fishermen still practice many of the traditional ways. Those flats/motor dories are the pickup trucks of the sea for these guys. They don't run much more than 20 miles off but have been known to take much longer coastal trips. Previous to the out board motors inshore and mid shore fishermen made use of "Motor Dories" and "Motor Boats" The "Motor Dories" were what i'd classify as a real traditional grand banks style dory up to 28ft. long usually powered by a single cylinder make and break motor (Puck-a-pucks) . "Motor boats were generally in the 35ft. range, round hulled, caravel planked originally powered by multi cylinder make and breaks but later by air cooled Lesters. There was usually a small cuddy cabin in case one had to stay out overnight. Wasn't unusual to bump into one of these fishing 40 to 50 miles off. All these of course carried oars and sail as backup but never a lifejacket in those days. One can still see find a few in use today, which steers me back on the thread, Kharee, I went in search of your Atkin designed Sea Skiff but was not successful, would it be possible to post a general outline of her.

P.S. ER, If you come i recommend Maine and Newfoundland for the full experience say 2 weeks Northern Maine , 1 month Newfoundland for the full Monty. :D

8. kharee

kharee Junior Member

I can send a pic from my cell phone if you send a number to my email: kharysudan@christianlaborparty.org. Dennis Hansen, who operates H.H. Payson & Co. has the plans. His number is 207-594-7587. He told me that the Payson family wanted him to carry on the business.

9. kharee

kharee Junior Member

Mark Van Abbema has a design on Duckworks. A lightweight plywood cruiser 8'x36'. It has the 1920's look. He designed it for a contest. I plan a similar craft but using the dory look(type) hull Spira designs. Sort of a pocket cruiser. Spira has study plans showing pilot houses. Studying them it is obvious they need to be longer. If Wm. Atkin thought it took thirty feet on an eight ft. beam to get the sheer right, that's what it takes! The 4',4" headroom is another question. But we know how Atkin was about headroom.

10. kharee

kharee Junior Member

What I like about the wide stern of the Spira boat is the possibility of doing a take-off on Van Abbema's treatment of the porta-potti placement. At 30' I see a stern cuddy cabin enclosing the motor well and toilet.

Instead of a hard top I see a convertible dodger or enclosure for cold or rainy weather. You can call me at (731)336-9984 and I will text the pics.

11. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Kharee, don't let age stop you , at 70 I've got 2 yrs. on you and now 3 yrs. into my build with an expected 2 yrs. to go. Gotta die with the boots on and not drooling in some rocking chair in stocking feet. :D At our ages headroom is almost a requirement and a convertible or lifting (pop up)top is a good decision. Open a thread and post photos we all love them --Plus as I recall posting to a couple of fence sitters (not mentioning any names) it promotes production. Actually my hidden agenda is, misery loves company :D ---

12. kharee

kharee Junior Member

I sent pics to PAR. U.S mail. Hopefully he will post them.

13. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Ya he's got similar items associated with my boat also :D

14. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

The ponies used by the USPS are tired, well rode and much like my first wife, except for the smell (she's got them beat). When I receive them, I'll do something with them. I'll assume there's something specific to look for?

15. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Two things the military should have taught us, never volunteer and check that it's a proper fox hole before jumping into it, What a ya say Sarge have ya gone and done both ;). Actually looking forward to your magic kick starting another old dreamer into a 5 yr. project -- Timing is perfect Kharee can become a member in My new " 70 & Over Builders Club" :D. We meet once a year at Hooters in Daytona. Show and tell will be samples of rare wood :p

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.