bonding aluminum w/adhesive- Araldite

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Charly, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Charly

Charly Senior Member

Has anyone used Araldite 2015 in boat building apps? I Just read about constructing foils from aluminum and using this product to hold things together. Makes me curious also about this and other uses. Anytime I can avoid welding it would be nice to have an alternative.
    Thanks

2. CDK

CDK retired engineer

Araldite 2015 is an epoxy resin that can be used to bond metals. With proper preparation the bond is quite strong, but not a real alternative to welding.

3. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

CDK, why not?

4. CDK

CDK retired engineer

Strength of course! A weld has the same strength as the base material, the bond between epoxy and aluminum maybe 15-20% of that.

5. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

80% loss of strength in the bond?

Did I read that right?

6. Charly

Charly Senior Member

7. jonr

jonr Senior Member

I suggest that the concern is long term corrosion. If the tiniest bit of moisture can get to the aluminum/glue line, it may cause weakening of the bond. Ie, I'd be concerned about strength after 20 years near salt water.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.