Getting No spark on either cylinder

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by zeobo, May 19, 2010.

1. zeobo

zeobo New Member

Hello all,

Just got my first boat......

Its a 196? Newman, with a 1961 Johnson 40 hp motor (RDSL-23). The boat is in pristine shape, however the engine is found lacking. I did a compression check and received 60psi on #1 and 63psi on #2. I checked the spark and I wasn't getting anything. I then followed the service manual suggested troubleshooting approach.
    1. Spark plugs- checked out fine- still no spark
    2. unhooked both harness and all wires from cutout switch still no spark
    3. checked and replaced; points, coils, wires, and condensers.
    4. flywheel has magnetism
    5. ????? this is where I need your help??????

Does anyone have further steps I can take. I should have spark I am baffled.....Please help

Thanks in advance
    Josh

2. zeobo

zeobo New Member

more details

So I pulled the flywheel again..... I did this because my earth (ground) and my kill switch were getting continuity. I took off the kill switch from my points and checked to see if it had continuity and it didn't, also checked the other side... nothing.

My wiring...

Black coil wire to earth(ground), Green coil wire to point. Kill wire(run away) to point. Condenser to point.

Not sure why there would be continuity to ground from points. I thought that is how you shut off a engine? Any help is appreciated.

3. capt littlelegs

capt littlelegs New Member

This should be fairly simple. Two independant coils, points and condenser. One coil wire to earth, the other connected to the open terminal of the points along with the condenser wire. The stop switch maybe two or three wire connected also to the points and possibly an earth wire. First thing to check is that the points are assembled properly and are not shorting out. You will always get a continuity because the points close and you've got a circuit through the coil so disconnect the earth wire and use this and earth when checking for continuity, should go open circuit when the points are opened. Also disconnect the stop switch while checking this to eliminate any fault there. The stop switch should be completly open circuit until pressed. Also check the points gap is correct and they are closing.

4. zeobo

zeobo New Member

test light

I am going to hook a test light up tomorrow to double check the proper point operation.

5. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

remember for correct operation the kill switch should be open.
    Sounds like you built the contacts up wrong and and that are still providing an earth even when they are open ...check with an ohm meter with the coil disconnected to check there function ( as it is a magneto if you put a meter across the contacts it will read zero with them closed and coil resistance ..maybe as low as 0.6 ohm with the contacts open) so you need the coil out of it to be sure

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.