Gerr, Strip Planking

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Tony Fish, Mar 31, 2006.

1. Tony Fish

Tony Fish Junior Member

Does anyone have experience using the Dave Gerr's 'Elements of Boat Strength' scantling number method for calculating strip-plank thickness? (Chapter 11) There seems to be a mistake in the calculation example given for 'Logger Bobber' in formula 11-3, determining the strip-plank thickness for an exterior only sheathed hull.

The equation given is 16.51 x Sn^0.3, the example, 16.51 X 2.97^0.3, which, if I'm not going crazy =22.89ish, whereas the example gives an answer of 24.7. This may seem to be a trivial difference for such a method of scantling determination if it is going to be rounded up anyway to say 25mm, but....

In formula 11-7 a strip-plank thickness is given for use with internal and external sheathing, given as 15.24 x Sn^0.34. The example answer I agree with. The problem is I would expect the thickness required to reduce if internal sheathing is added, which in his example, it does by 3mm if the answers are correct, but I don't believe the first one is.

The two equations given, 11-3 and 11-6 give a very small difference. Am I doing something wrong or is there a miss-print in the book? Which equation should I trust?

Also on page 157 (top right) it says, 'With internal frames, bulkheads and backbone structure, no internal hull sheathing is required or recommended Does anyone know a reason why it is not recommended?

While I'm at it, The ABS Guide for Off-shore yachts gives a formula for the required thickness of carvel planking.(7.5.1) It seems to give a small very small thickness, or alternatively a large frame spacing, (going by my very limited knowledge of wooden boat construction). Any comments/suggestions?

2. Tony Fish

Tony Fish Junior Member

If anyone was interested, it turns out it was a typo in the book. I managed to contact Dave Gerr and he confirmed this. The equation should be 16.51 x Sn^0.37

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.