Georgian Steel history

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Anagraph, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Anagraph

Anagraph Junior Member

I'm a first-timer here. Have purchased a 1975 Georgian Steel 43.5 foot houseboat that has just been surveyed well. Been searching everywhere to try to find out where these boats were built (1969 to 1979 I believe) and anything else about them I can find. Nothing on Google or other browsers. I noticed some postings here re one in mid 2006 and hope someone can guide me to some real information. Thinking of doing a book on them and want to find some builders while they're still alive. Thanks.

2. sleddog

sleddog New Member

Georgian Steel

Hello, I'm looking at purchasing a Georgian Steel if the survey checks out around the 16th of April. I'll be sure to ask the surveyor what he knows about the builders and the history of the company.

I'll get back to you on this as I'm curious myself.

3. Anagraph

Anagraph Junior Member

Georgian Steel

Hi sleddog: Good luck with the survey. Mine went well. I have some more info on the brand and its history but not much so anything you can find out is welcome. If the survey and purchase works out let me know and I'll share what I know. This is the first and only reply I've had on this site so there aren't many of us.

4. Tony Breault

Tony Breault New Member

Georgian Steel

I'm currently considering buying a 32 foot myself and would also like to know more about the manufacturer. Can you provide some detail? Thanks.
    Tony

5. sleddog

sleddog New Member

Hello

I was looking at Georgian Steel at the beginning of the summer here in Toronto, it seemed like a good price for the size of the boat, but during the survey it became apparent that the boat was in very bad shape. The surveyor looked under the floor and into the bilge to find lots of corrosion. He had said that the quality of rolled steel used in the Georgian was not very good, alas; unless you find one that has been originally owned and well maintained without any water in the bilge, then you want to be really careful about what you're looking at buying. They wanted 10,000$ for the boat I was looking at, by the end of the survey, the surveyor pointed out that it will cost them money to get rid of it due to strict environmental laws. In some spots, steel that was supposed to be 1/4 inch thick was less than 1/16th inch. One poke and the hull was done. Bottom line is the quality of the steel being sub-par, which is why we don't see allot of GS's around.

Hope this helps, sorry it's not better news, but maybe you've found one of the good ones. If you see any corrosion on the inside of the hull, I would be very suspicious and definitely pay the money for a good survey if you're considering buying. It can save you lots of money, headaches, and potential problems down the road.

All the best and good luck

6. Anagraph

Anagraph Junior Member

Georgian Steel

Hi Tony: I'm happy with the 43.5 foot GS although I've found it difficult to find out much about them. I found a retired boat broker who knows more than anyone else I've spoken with. He tells me the company was registered in Niagara Falls Ontario and the boats built between the late sixties and mid to late 70's in Stoney Creek, Ontario (right beside Hamilton and its steel plants). Although they sold well at the 1970 Toronto boat show he believes a deal with the RCMP and Coast Guard fell through and the brand faded with all other steel boat makers when fiberglass was re-engineered in the late seventies. I am awaiting the name of the man weho knows one of the original owners and another who says he has the name of the man in hamilton who bought out the parts when the compoany went under. (Mine lacks the Georgian Steel logos and I'm looking everywhere for one or two).

The major problem with the boats was the insulation sprayed on the inside of the hull, ostensibly to dampen the sound of water at speed. Water crept between the insulation and hulls and many rusted from the inside. The difference between a $10,000 GS and a $30,000+ GS is usually the physical shape of the steel hull which I'm told can cost between $10,000 and $20,000 to repair or replace.

Although I'm still getting used to it's length and weight I find it very comfortable, easy to live and work on. I'll be renovating the inside for cosmetic reasons (that old 70's pecan panelling just has to go) this fall and we hope to travel the Rideau and Trent canals next summer.

Hope this helps.

Dennis
    anagraph@sympatico.ca

7. jstewy

jstewy New Member

Thinking of getting a 33' Georgian Steel House Cruiser

I am currently looking at a 33' Georgian Steel House Cruiser.
    I don't have all the details of the boat, however upon a preliminary personal inspection, it appears to be in good shape.

I want to have the boat inspected by a professional surveyor. Can you recommend someone for me in the Toronto area?

Thanks

8. Anagraph

Anagraph Junior Member

Georgian Steel survey

My boat was in Belleville so I chose a local guy. Turns out he is international and travels Canada and the US surveying boats. Nice man, very efficient (free re-inspection within a year if you change something he recommends). Knowledgable, great reports, reasonable cost. Check out http://www.swiftsuremarinesurveyors.com Sure he'll come to Toronto or perhaps give you the name of a colleague closer to you.

Dennis.

9. Anagraph

Anagraph Junior Member

Re Gerogian Steel provenance

These boats were built in Stoney Creek Ontario (no doubt with Hamilton steel company materials) in the 1960's and 70's. They made three sizes, from 34' to 43.5" LOA. I am surprised how little owners know about where they cam from so I'm on the case but have only a few leads. I have the name of one of the company owners and one GS owner says he has the name somewhere of the man who bought out all the parts when the company went under in the late 70's, ostensibly because of the re-engineering and resultant lower prices of fiberglass. The boats sold very well at the 1970 Toronto boat show. I am clowly putting together a website and soliciting phots and comments on different Georgian Steels so if you buy it, send me some pictures and as much as you can discover about yours. Hope this helps a little.

Dennis.

10. GeorgianSteeler

GeorgianSteeler New Member

I have a 43' 1975 Georgian Steel and have just discovered a couple of cracks in the rubber boots around the outdrives. Does anyone know where to get new boots for an old boat?
    Fraser

11. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

It depends on what brand and year of outdrives you have, not on what kind of boat.

BAD BOOTS ARE A COMMON CAUSE OF SINKING, so get them fixed as soon as possible.

12. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

I suppose the quality of the steel has something to do with it. It's not so much a question of maintenance or an accumulation of water from actual leaks. A lot of houseboats have no access to most of the inside of the hull, maintenance is not possible. Water doesn't leak in, it condenses from the air on the steel where it is cooled by the water it's sitting in. You can see the outside waterline from inside the boat, rust goes from the waterline down.

13. GeorgianSteeler

GeorgianSteeler New Member

leaky boots

I was able to patch them with an external sidewall tire repair kit from Canadian Tire but I do want to replace them. The patches are holding and my bilge is dry. I have twin OMC 260hp engines. Do you know where I can find new boots?

14. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Google 'OMC boat parts'. It is something you might not be able or don't want to replace yourself. You have to take the whole outdrive off to replace the boot. Ask around at the marina for someone that does that work.

15. cgouweloos

cgouweloos New Member

Georgian Steel Boats

Hi Dennis,

Just found this and realize the post is old but thought I'd share anyway....

I happened to be surfing the net on Georgian Steel Boats because I was interested to understand how many of my father's boats may still be in circulation. In answer to your query - what I do know is that my father (Ralph Pepin) was part owner in this company back in late sixties/early seventies and that there were only 30-40 boats manufactured. We have many of the brochures used to sell the boats still in my Dad's possessions. He unfortunately passed away in 2000. If there's any other information you want to know I may be able to help you - just let me know.

Thanks - Cindy
    cgouweloos@hotmail.com

1 person likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.