George Buehler designs

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by wardd, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

It may well be the best boat he ever designed, but without one being built that's a bit of an empty claim......I've got drawers full of "the best boat I ever designed" too bad no one wants one..........

As always the power specified on the website is about half of that actually required to achieve those speeds. Even if she could be built at 11,000 pounds, which is unlikely, she would require 22HP (at the prop) under ideal conditions, to achieve 8.5 knots.

Unless you saw the lumber in your backyard from trees felled on the back forty, this boat will never be worth the cost of materials to build her.

2. goodwilltoall

goodwilltoall Senior Member

Tad,

Dory's are great boats, and Pilgrim is the biggest motorboat dory known.
    Think the power source was a 13hp SABB, have heard of many good things about them, think their discontinued. You might be right about it being underpowered, but as long as it can still make way under most conditions going slower is not a problem.

If there was one offered for $15,000.00 as George says it would cost to build, it would be picked up very quickly.

3. apex1

apex1 Guest

Goody,

again, not to bother you, but your posts raise a serious question about your age.

You try to tell a successful NA about his business here! TAD for sure, knows much more about dories and the "pilgrim" plans, than you would after building one.

Are you older than 14 years? Or just stubborn to a insane extend?

4. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

AFAIK Bill Garden's 88' Power Dory holds the size record, and there's a 65' steel cruising dory by Dave Gerr, and Jay Benford has a 60' three masted junk schooner dory.

I would disagree on dory's being great boats, but they were useful on the Grand Banks for many years.

I don't think you could get an operating 44' boat out $15k worth of crap from Home Depot any more, perhaps if you sheath nothing and find a well used powertrain.

5. goodwilltoall

Tad,

Maybe should have just said I like dorys.

After leaving remembered Ruell Parker 50' Dory and your right the SABB is 10hp.

Can you give more information about the other dories you mention and what do you think the ride and motion of Pilgrim would be in different seas?

6. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

Drawings for Garden's big dory appear in his book Yacht Designs II, the drawings for Gerr's dory are in his book The Nature of Boats, and Benford's big dory appears (briefly) in Annie Hill's Voyaging on a Small Income.

With a D/L of 73 at her designed displacement of 11,000 pounds, and only 6-8" of boat in the water......ride and motion in a sea will be....WILD! Seat belts required.....

7. goodwilltoall

Tad,

Were the other small dories that WILD? George says that in previous years he sailed on something much smaller and since Pilgrim is much more substantial should prove satifactory, more inclined to stay coastal but able to venture out.

8. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Godwilltoall, what do you like about dories? Have you been on a dory? Was it a real dory, or was it what someone called a dory. My point is, real dories suck as sea boats unless they have doubled their displacement with a belly full of dieing fish. Simply put, dories are working craft of several (okay, maybe as many as 12), fairly specific shapes which literally need to have their chines pushed down twice as deep as they are when empty or they are ungodly beasts to handle in any sea.

Anyone contemplating a dory should be set adrift in one, just outside a breaking inlet and told to "come on in". You'll very quickly realize these antique work boats need more sailor than you can hope to ever be, to handle them. This isn't to suggest you'll never be a good sailor, but that real dories are less good sea boat and more the result of surviving fishermen telling how lucky they are to be alive.

If you look at all the successful, modern "dories" they aren't real dories, but modified dories, skiffs with a lot of flare and other contrivances. Jay Benford's dories have a ballasted fin beneath them, that is deeper then the topside freeboard is tall! He openly admits to the obvious modifications he's made to the dory hull form. Adjustments to rocker, bottom width, displacement distribution, etc. all need to be addressed before he was comfortable with call them "sea worthy".

You seem enamored with George's work. That's great, now price up one of his builds. Even if you can use Lowe's/Dept stuff (unrealistic), you'll have to buy so much more, then that a conventional, modern design will still come out cheaper. And best of all, the modern design will be easier to build, faster and have more accommodations. Jay's original dory designs (26' through 37') are now in the 30 year old (maybe more, I didn't look it up) bracket. they come in at half the displacement of anything George has dreamed up and displacement is directly related to the materials you have to buy and install in the boat. Jay would never be confused with a designer interested in light weight hulls or scantlings.

I have to admit, Pilgrim is likely the lightest 40' boat George has ever designed by a wide margin. Maybe he's finally catching on.

9. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Dories were designed to be stocked one hull inside the other, piling on deck of the mother shooner.
    Therefore the shape.
    Nothing to do with seaworthiness.
    Daniel

10. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

There are quite a few dories that can't be nested or stacked Daniel. If you take a half a dozen gunning dories and stack them up, you'll just have broken thwarts and end decks. The same would be true of a Swampscott or North Shore dory. I can think of at least 12 distinct dory types.

The Grand banks dory would nest and stack neatly, but the shape came from needing to pick up displacement rapidly as they were loaded up. These where generally called "fisherman" style and the PPI empty with just the skipper aboard may have been a couple of hundred pounds, for the first inch, but then the second inch would be 500 pounds and the third inch of immersion 800 pounds and this continued until a rail was under. Most small, open fishing boats also have an increasing PPI, but not such a dramatically increasing one, which is why they "steadied down" so well with a half a boat full of fish. This quickly lowered their CG and stabilized the craft and was likely why fisherman survived to brag about their amazing little adventures, which naturally lead to unrealistic sea going expectations of these little boats. Personally, I think everyone interested in a dory, should take one out (a real fishermen style) in a good chop and see what they're all about.

11. frank smith

frank smith Senior Member

I like the idea of Beuhler's boats , but they seam old fashioned to me. His sailboats have rather steep dead rise to the bottom., and put a lot of buoyancy down low , so that the depth and amount of ballast have to be great.
    I like the double ended look , but hard chine boat are better with a transom stern IMO, and his building methods dont make the best of plywoods strength.Besides there are many old wholesome designs to be had. For sailing designs I would look at Wittholz designs.

12. goodwilltoall

Good answers PAR.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.