geodetic submarine design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by tugboat, Feb 8, 2010.

1. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

Typical examples of geodesic structures used for vehicles are rigid airships and some aircraft. If they are intended to support pressure it is internal, in which mode the structure is to an extent stabilized by the pressure differential. Geodesic construction yields a structure that is extremely stiff for its weight, but is not significantly stronger than another style of construction using a similar quantity of material. For a submarine strength is of the essence, with such a strong structure stiffness is a given and is not really an issue. Designing a very light, stiff structure strong enough to withstand deep immersion which would need heavy ballast seems pointless.

2. tugboat

tugboat Previous Member

i stand corrected!

3. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Tugboat I understand that everybody is thinking of the sub hull as an impootant design feature.
    But the pressure hull is the most easy part to built. No real need to reinvent the wheel.
    The real problem of a sub is these points. The list is not complete just a start:

The oxygen system, the pressure tanks system, the free flooding tank systems the compensating tank system, the "fly-by-wire" system, the movement of the crew calculation, the trim tanks, the trim weight systems, the valving system, the thruhull system, the hatches system, the emergency chamber systems, the electro desensitivity system, the compressed air expulsion system, the general propulsion system, the diving system emergency, the surface system emergency, the exhaust system. Is the calculation by buoyancy subtraction or weight addition. Is the system use is the Kormilitsin & Khalizev theories based.
    This is jut the beginning of a list of 655 components. Each one is subdivides by approximately 250 components
    This as I said just a start to help to put the subdivision in place, so every engineer can start working on the task.
    The sub is beautiful, but very complex if you want to be safe.
    Even if look at the Holland design, you will see the ingeniosity, not in the pressure hull, but in the system.
    And if you look at the plans of the midget X-Craft of the Royal Navy during WWII you will see how they put all the systems together in a very small envelop.
    But please continue your own research, by doing models, as you already done I believe, but also understand well the problems inside the sub.
    Keep going and if you have some models please put some pictures.
    By the way, investigate the Panda hybrid system.
    Daniel

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.