Yacht design in Rhinoceros 4

Discussion in 'Software' started by marinavaleng, Jan 24, 2011.

1. marinavaleng

marinavaleng New Member

Hello everybody,
    Can anybody help me about my questions and requests?
    The main question is that how can I start to design a yacht in Rhinoceros.Actually Im familiar with rhino but I have never made a real yacht in rhino. I just want to ask that if you use the ship lines ? (I mean the drawings plan) or you just start with two surfaces ? Can you please explain me how to start ?
    And second question also,Lets say that I use two planes to make a design, I canT choose the points that I want .Always I choose the otherone because they are always together ? how can I choose the point that I want.
    And also a request. Can you help me to find some tutorials about designing yacht.(not normal rhino tutorials) I just want to see which ways normally do people use I want to know their experiences.if you have something like this or if you have something you made Could you please share it with me ?
    Thank you for your help and kindness in advance.

2. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

Choosing the right point? Zoom way in, or if you pick the wrong one and it is in the way, pick it and hide it. Some of the Pros that visit here have written much about the "design process", search the design area.
    Gary :D

3. b1ck0

b1ck0 Senior Member

I am also interested in modelling techniques. It will be very helpful if you share your design strategy. Thanks in advance! :)

4. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

This is a good contemporary look at the design spiral using CAD software.
    http://www.newavesys.com/spiral.htm
    There also is a long list of classic books on this subject and they can be found in this sites book store. My advice for hull design is start with a strong purpose and a very few well defined lines. Many great looking conceptual CAD models will rarely survive a trip down the design spiral. So don’t let the software seduce you.

Gary :D

1 person likes this.
  5. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

I start with one surface to model one side of the hull. If the boat has a transom I add that as a separate surface.

6. marinavaleng

marinavaleng New Member

Thank you very much for your advices and for your help guys.Starting with just one plane(surface) is also my method in maxsurf.But rhinoceros doesnT let me do whatever I want I canT do whatever I want and because of that I am asking another methods.Because its really difficult for me to transform just one surface to a hull shape in rhino. How do you do that ? whats your methods.? Please could you share your experiences with us ? and as I said above, Please share us if you have some tutorials that you did before or which are published in internet by another people. Because I looked for that tutorials everywhere but I couldnT find anything.There is just a blog about rhino and its not enough. Please share your experiences with us ..
    Thank you very much in advance

7. Joe Petrich

Joe Petrich Designer

It depends upon what kind of hull you are designing.

If it is a chined hull form you need to use 3 surfaces at the minimum: 1) bottom, 2) topsides and 3) transom. You cannot create a one surface chined hull in Rhino.

If you are creating a rounded hull form in Rhino you can use one surface and push/pull control points until you like it. Another way of creating a round hull form is to create section curves and loft through them.

Baseline Technologies has some relatively inexpensive tutorials for sale. See: www.basline.com

Rhinocentre also provides training and I think tutorials. http://www.rhinocentre.nl/

Good luck with your project.

8. Paul Kotzebue

Paul Kotzebue Previous Member

9. marinavaleng

marinavaleng New Member

Hey thank you very much thats exactly what I want.
    Thank you guys for all your informations... Is there anybody who wants to share something like this =) ?

10. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

What type of hull shape are you trying to create? As Joe said different methods work for diffirent types of shapes.

As Joe suggests the easiest way to create a hull with a single chine is create curves for the sheer, chine, and bottom center profile (keel) and then use the Loft command to create surfaces between the sheer and chine, and chine and center profile.

Paul's tutorial is a good method to use for round bottom sailboats.

RhinoCentre in the Netherlands and Gerard Petersen have provided a tutorial and examples on how to model ships with bulbs: http://www.rhino3d.com/resources/display.asp?language=pl&listing=737

11. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

Joe Petrich try this to get a single surface chine hull
    Create your three edge lines, sheer, chine and keel, then create the connecting surfaces (surface from 2,3,4 lines or loft with straight sections, you will have to exploded the lofted surfaces to separate them). Then use the “Merge Surface” on each surface to join them into one. They can then be edited using their control points. If you need to get back the separate surfaces use either the “divide along creases” or “split at isocurve” commands. For those who are interested I have supplied a file in rhino 2 format of the three steps.

Attached Files:

12. Joe Petrich

Joe Petrich Designer

Thanks Bhnautica. I never need to create chined hulls as all one surface so forgot about the mergesrf command for doing it. Thanks for the reminder.

13. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

Joe there wouldn’t be a need if you could only edit polysurfaces in rhino!

14. Joe Petrich

Joe Petrich Designer

If you have Rhino 4.0 have you tried Cage Edit? It can do some interesting things with polysurfaces.

15. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

Joe yes I have used the cage edit for a whole surfaces edit but I find the changes it sometimes makes to the number of control points of the surface a bit of a nuisance if I need to make some localised change later on. I am of the less is more philosophy when it come to control points.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.