bulkhead

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by cheher, Jan 10, 2011.

1. cheher

cheher New Member

Hey gang—

Long time lurker here with a question about bulkhead removal.I've searched threads about replacing the bulkhead due to rot, but what about removing parts of the bulkhead for additional v-berth space? Specifically, it would be removing the bulkhead separating the small guest bunk room with the v berth. I know bulkheads exist to keep the vessel structurally sound, but if I'm just puttering up and down the coast, is it that big of a deal?

I know there's a bunch of variables to this, but I'm looking at a 30-40' sportfisher from the 70's (Egg Harbor/Hatteras).

Apologies if there's already a thread about this. Thanks.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Unless you can re-engineer the hull, removing a bulkhead is a very bad idea. Many people spend a lot of time and money destroying the structural integrity of a boat doing that. Then, they either get rid of it or spend a lot of time and money to repair it.

3. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

I would generally agree with Gonzo on this.
    It really depends on whether the bulkhead is structural or not ( they usually are). It may be technically possible to alter it such that the bulkhead becomes a ring frame, but without a lot more info it's impossible to say for sure

1 person likes this.
  4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

It's a bit silly to speculate about what you might want without a make, model and year on the yacht in question.

Generally, as has been said, the bulkheads are there for structural considerations, though they can be moved, altered and repaired, so you're in luck. Again, any further detail or advise would likely be application specific, so what are you attempting to do and on what boat?

5. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Make a glass|foam|glass bulkhead to replace it with in the form of a ring frame !

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.