General Patton's Sailboat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by brian eiland, Aug 21, 2017.

1. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

This past weekend in Lunenburg NS, there appear a few 'tall ships',...not the real big ones, but a nice little selection. Along with them there were a few other historic vessels, and a very modern Bermudian 'sloop'.

This beautiful schooner caught me eye. it was an Alden design built for then Col George Patton
    An Historic Vessel – Sail When and If https://sailwhenandif.com/an-historic-vessel/
    When General (Then colonel) George S. Patton commissioned one of America's greatest designers to conceive him a boat to be build by F.F Pendleton of Wiscasset, Maine in 1939, he had the ultimate ambition in mind:

"When the war is over, and If I live through it, Bea and I are going to sail her around the world."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BMcF likes this.
  2. brian eiland

I am rather surprised that no other participants have come forward to post anything on this beautiful vessel.

I was particularly intrigued with some of its rigging aspects, where the rigging was 'wrapped-around' the mast section. I'm wondering what modern versions of this idea might look like?

3. brian eiland

4. Rumars

Rumars Senior Member

What do you expect us to say? Loops with cheeks was a standard way to rig a gaffer, there are even rules wich loop goes over wich. It's still practiced today where appropriate. It's a very limiting style of attaching standing rigging because the loops can only be where there is no sailtrack or hoops. On a bermuda rig you can only use loops above the halyard sheaves, everything else has to be attached some other way. Fitting cheeks to a carbon mast is also more labor since it's an additional step over just reinforcing the wall locally.

What you do see with modern textile rigging are dedicated deadeyes that get fixed to the side of the mast instead of tangs, or T terminals with an eye at the other end. Both take standing rigging terminated with a spliced loop, but there isn't much relation to the rigging of old.

5. brian eiland

I had ideas of using such an arrangement on this unusual rig design of mine,

Aftmast rigs??? https://www.boatdesign.net/threads/aftmast-rigs.623/page-76#post-879937

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.