Gene-Hull upgrade 2,3

Discussion in 'Software' started by Dolfiman, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Dolfiman

Dolfiman Senior Member

Gene-Hull VE & UE new versions 2.3

This upgrade 2,3 of the free application dedicated to early stage design of sailing yacht includes the following main improvements :
    • one can introduce a hard chine, above the waterline and vertical according to the modern trend for such hard chine line,
    • one can introduce a scow bow influence on the front sheer line and waterlines,
    • one can define an early stage Sailplan (input : mast position , I J P E values), from which the « lead » is computed as well as all the design ratios involving the sail surface,
    • one can define an early stage Mass spreadsheet, from which the boat weight and its CdG coordinates are computed,
    • the hull with heel hydrostatic equilibrium (by adjusting the height and the trim for a given heel angle) can now be based on this boat weight and CdG position, and the righting moment RM is computed .
    Here attached are proposed :
    - The 2 spreadsheet applications VE 2.3 (for classic "V" type hull) & UE 2.3 (for modern "U" type hull) , .ods files developed with Open office 4.0.1 , can be also opened and used with Libre office.
    - The common User guide, with a lot of illustrations + in annex the main formulations involved to mathematically define the hull body geometry,
    - Examples of hulls, including reference boats already in place in the spreadsheet in order to ease your start of a new project + 5 examples for each application which are free interpretation « inspired by » existing or historical boats,

The input data involved both the necessary minimum of geometrical data + adimensional parameters which have local to global influence on the hull body. Probably that the use of these parameters are not very intuitive at the beginning despite the illustrations given in the User Guide, so :
    – a first set of data for the reference boat is already in place, you can start step by step from this existing hull.
    - the data of some other types of hull are in the Hulls storage sheet, that you can use them by copy/paste to start your project from another pre set of data
    – you can test the effect of each parameter with a priori very low or very high values so that to better see the various effects and so « learn by test » more rapidly (and moerover this type of test is fun …, you can generate funny extreme shapes of a hull)

By hoping you can make profit (and have fun !) of these free applications dedicated for early stage design : once the hull, its sailplan and its mass spreadsheet match your goal and criteria, you can use the sum-up of the geometrical data given in the outputs to prepare a transfer towards a 3D modeller.

And I am of course at your disposal for any clarification or ideas of improvement.

Attached Files:

2. bit

bit Student

Merci.

3. zazzio

zazzio New Member

Thank you for your work. You save my day!

4. zazzio

zazzio New Member

I've just one question: I saw in an another topic that you've used a similar tool to design a catamaran hull. Is this software the same one or if I want to design a catamaran hull I should use that version of the software? Thanks

5. Dolfiman

Dolfiman Senior Member

Dear Zazzio, many thanks for your kind messages,

I effectively derived a hull for catamaran version from the general UE one, with simplifications i.e. :
    - without daggerboard and rudders (just the hull + displacement and wetted surface for the two hulls)
    - without the hull with heel subroutine (less necessary)
    - without the scow bow and the hard chines functions (usually not necessary for a cata),

Here is this version dated jan. 2018, I have not used it since but I think it is operational, without bugs (if any, don't hesitate to contact me)

Attached Files:

6. zazzio

zazzio New Member

Thank for your fast reply. I'll try this version and let you know if I find any bugs.