FreeShip newbie questions

Discussion in 'Software' started by MushCreek, Dec 20, 2020.

1. MushCreek

MushCreek Junior Member

I'm an old (67) guy who is somewhat experience designing simple small boats, but new to using computer software. I'm running FreeShip 3.4, and fooling around with flat-bottomed rowing skiffs. Surprisingly, I was able to whip something up in less than an hour of fooling around, but of course, there are some issues.

What are 'leak points', and how do I fix them?

When I unfold the panels, there seems to be little rhyme or reason as to what I get. I keep toggling back and forth between selecting various surfaces and layers (I'm only using two), and eventually get the view I want. The problem I'm having is getting the view I want on demand. Each time I try it, I get different results.

The unfolded panels are green, and the (tiny) dimensions are medium blue, so I have to zoom in to read them. A print-out on letter-size paper was unusable, as you couldn't read the tiny dimensions, especially on the shaded background.

Lastly (for now), is there a way to skin the design, and roll it around for different views? Right now, I just have a bunch of lines. I can see the shape fairly well, but I see fancy skinned models that others have done. Also, is there a way to roll the isometric view around to see it from different isometric angles?

Thanks in advance for any help! I'm planning to build a simple flat-bottom rowing skiff, roughly 5M X 1.2 M (16' x 4') to use on our area lakes. I could just go out and build one by eye, as I've done in the past, but I'm enjoying using this new-fangled technology to better predict the outcome before committing it to wood.

Jay

2. MushCreek

MushCreek Junior Member

OK; I figured out how to change the perspective view with the sliders. I think I have a handle (sort of) on the unfolded panels. I discovered the different layers in the dialog box. Changing the draft to '0' seemed to separate them.

3. a_canuck

a_canuck New Member

Just getting started. Somehow the manual didn't download with Freeship, and there is some strange pop-up to something apparently unrelated. What's a guy to do?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.