Gene-Hull : hull generation for sailing yacht early stage design

Discussion in 'Software' started by Dolfiman, Aug 12, 2017 at 10:39 AM.

1. Dolfiman

Dolfiman Junior Member

I am pleased to inform about free spreadsheet applications Gene-hull dedicated to early stage design of a sailing yacht, based on polynomial functions leading to 2D faired linesplan, deterministic definition of the hull body and good regularity of the curvatures. 2 applications are developed, one VE for « V » shape hulls and one UE for « U » shape hulls. Here attached the common User Guide and examples of input and ouput.

The input involved the necessary minimum of geometrical data completed with parameters which have local to global influence on the hull body. The input of data for a standard « inverted L » keel + a rudder complete the early stage design objective of these applications.

The ouput includes the 3 views 2D, all hydrostatics data and ratios usually considered by naval architects, the computation of the hull with heel (in hydrostatic condition), a sum-up of the geometrical data for a transfer towards a 3D modeller, data to draw at scale one any section with including hull frames and deck bars when existed.

The applications are free and open source, developed using Open Office Calc 4.0.1. (if any problem to open and use an ods file, you can download Open Office or Libre office according to : http://www.openthefile.net/extension/ods ) (for example, one can use the applications on Mac with Libre Office 3.4.5). I cannot upload the files with this message (.ods format files are rejected by the system), but if you are interested, you can email me at jfcmasset@outlook.fr and I will send them with pleasure.

I develop these applications not only for the love of the art of hull design but in practice to have an easy tool which can be fast, creative, eventually fun instead of tedious, at this early stage needing numerous iterations, before turning to the 3D representation itself. The applications allow fine tuning, i.e. when modifications are so small that they are quite not visible on the linesplan but still have effect on parameters like displacement, longitudinal center of buoyancy , prismatic coefficient, wetted surface, etc ... I hope you can be interested and make profit of it, up to have fun with this parametric approach. Metric units are used for the input/output, but with a conversion in US units

Attached Files:

2. Dolfiman

Dolfiman Junior Member

... and thanks to Boatdesign administrator, I can now upload the spreadsheet applications (ods files developed using Open Office calc 4.0.1);

Use, enjoy, ... and your comments welcome.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.