Gelcoating hull

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Pojodojo, May 10, 2006.

1. Pojodojo

Pojodojo New Member

Im glad there's a forum out here for me to ask questions, and ahead of time, thanks for any help.

I have a small boat I am just getting to working on that I've had for about 10 years, I have no Idea of the brand or even the size, as I haven't measured it yet, but I would guess about 8-10 feet. I would apreciate it if you guys could tell me anything you notice about it that would help me in finding parts or finding the name of it.
    I have nearly the whole thing sanded down, the hull into the gelcoat, and the top to the primer. What I would like to know is, should I re gelcoat the whole bottom again, or can I just paint it with some antifouling paint?
    I still have to find the mast, as its lying around somewhere, but the boom, sail, keel, and rudder I have, so Hoepfully after painting and new hardware it will be water worthy.

Here is a pic of it so far:
    [​IMG]

Any other suggestions would be greatly apreciated.

-Dan

2. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

It's probably not worth the hassle of re-doing the gelcoat. sand it to a nice smooth finish and paint it with an Epoxy or Enamel marine paint. If you plan to leave it in the water, antifouling will help a lot

There are loads of small boats like this around, someone might recognise something like it.

Good Luck,

Tim B.

3. Pojodojo

Pojodojo New Member

Enamel or Epozy you say? are there certain advantages or disadvantages to either, and as for the antifouling, I may just use normal paint because I will be taking it in and out every time I use it.
    I have some wheels from a Zodiac inflatable that I will make mounts for in the transom and will probably tow it behind my bike the few blocks to the landing(dont laugh, I have no trailer, and I dont want to waste gas in my car for a few blocks).

4. Buc

Buc Junior Member

There are single-part "modified" epoxies that will work fine and are simple to apply with a brush or roller/brush (tipping) combination. Gelcoating an existing boat is easily the worst prossible option in terms of difficulty. Antifouling isn't necessary.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.