gelcoat repair

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by a308man, Jan 29, 2013.

1. a308man

a308man New Member

Hi people, Im new here. Thinking someone here can help me thru my boat build.
    Im needing to patch some newly ground out cracks in gelcoat. I have on hand some polyester (glazing) puddy. Is this compatible with gelcoat? Being that you can only use polyester resin with gelcoat, Im assuming that this polyester puddy will be compatible for my patching job.
    All other suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Thx Brian

2. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Gel coat cracks !!
    Cracks are the tell tail signs ususally of an underlying problem ! why did the gel crack Thats the question . The shape and the way the stress marks radiate tells a story as well . if its from a hit then there could be hidden damaged glass layers !! if the cracks radiate away in a fan tail shape from a corner then there weakness in that area . simply filling solves nothing and in a very short time they will be back again !!even sanding filling and repairing is time wasted . Post a picture or two and lets see what you have . Gel coat is like a egg shell layer on the outside and the thickness of the gel can be yet another problem . Thick layer and the cracks go deep and even to the point of wanting to peel off the glass . Thin gelcoat could indicate a weak stucture beneath or bracing and a hard point like a piece of wood glassed and creatinga place that has no give .
    The list keeps going on and on as to why !!!but its telling theres a problem and after you repaired it it could just reappear again !! :confused:

3. midnitmike

midnitmike Senior Member

Hi Brian,
    Might I suggest using the search function of this forum. You should find quite a few threads dealing with the subject...so many in fact that the question has become rather routine. Posting picture is another way to illicit responses from this boring crowd...good luck.

MM

4. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Posting pictures is a way to possibly identify the cause of the gelcoat cracks . Just writing endless remadies is like asking a blind person what is black and what is white !!:p
    Posting picture is another way to illicit responses from this boring crowd If its a boring crowed then why are you here ?? looking to be bored like the rest ??:confused:

5. midnitmike

midnitmike Senior Member

Because I fit right in...;)

MM