Gelcoat Refinishing Question

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by LQT420, Apr 18, 2007.

1. LQT420

LQT420 Junior Member

Hi,

I'm brand new to this forum and would like to thank you in advance for any help you may be able to provide. I'm in the process of refurbishing a '78 Sunfish hull. I would like to sand it down and re-gelcoat the hull. I have a 4 stage turbine hvlp spray system but don't want to ruin my paint spraygun with gelcoat. Is there a gelcoat gun that I could buy that can be used with a turbine for this type of refinishing job?

Thanks,

- Leon

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Unless the old gelcoat's totally shot to the point of being gone altogether, why not use a good marine urethane paint? Gelcoat's weak, porous and easy to scratch. I know there's some who like it, and it does its job, but unless you really need to redo the gelcoat, I'd think you'd have an easier time and get a better result with a good sanding, prime and paint.

3. doublevision

doublevision fiberglass is my friend

marshmat is right. just use emron or something similar. its less overall work and the finish will shine just as good if not better than gel. just make shure there is no bare glass before priming w/545. that will cause a problem.

4. LQT420

LQT420 Junior Member

As another option, I was thinking of priming with 545 and using Awlgrip for a topcoat. However, my concern was that if I scratch the new finish somehow (entirely possible with a Sunfish), Awlgrip is much more difficult to repair than gelcoat.

5. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

I think of Awlgrip etc. as being easier to repair than gel. Just mix up a few millilitres of paint and touch up the scratch.
    Make sure you pick ONE supplier and ONE paint system, and stick with their directions throughout. Do not mix and match, ie. don't use Awlgrip paint with an Interlux primer. Pick a single paint system and use the recommended primers and prep chemicals.