spray-on truck liner

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by mike Tones, May 20, 2005.

1. mike Tones

mike Tones New Member

Hi from the UK. I am about to buy a GRP Yorkshire sailing/fishing coble (18ft). It is basically sound but in need of some renovation. Hull GRP is in sound condition but unfortunately has been painted. Do I repaint, remove to gel coat or as someone suggested spray over a film of spray-on truck bed liner - urethane polymer coating containing kevlar, as a tough, long lasting and flexible protection?

Regards - Mike

2. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

Depends on what type of finish YOU want. Workboat finish...remove loose paint, scuff, repaint. Moderate finish...remove loose paint, fill and feather, prep sand, repaint. Etc, Etc... The applications I've seen of spray on urethane have not been good in the marine environment, mostly due to lack of "tooth" or adheasion that prevents the covering from lifting in big steets after it is damaged. If you have to put more work into the surface prep as paint, the advantage of using it is lost, especally on exterior surfaces.

3. mike Tones

mike Tones New Member

Many thanks and I understand where your coming from. The demo truck liner I looked at I took a screwdriver to and couldn't even mark it.

4. Corpus Skipper

Corpus Skipper Hopeless Boataholic

Polyurethane paints are excellent for the marine environment. I've sprayed several boats that are holding up very well, even when trailered.
    No amount of surface prep work can compare to the huge job it is to re gelcoat a boat. I charge around $1200.00 to paint an 18 foot boat, $10,000 to gelcoat it. (in other words, I don't re-gelcoat boats, it's cheaper to buy a new hull!) Good sanding and prep will make a urethane paint job last 10 years.

5. mike Tones

mike Tones New Member

many thanks - does this mean that the rather thick, slightly rubbery, truck bed liner kevlar/urethane spray is not suitable?

6. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

I agree with Chris that hard Polyurethane paints will last many years. But as I said before, I've had poor performance from the soft urethane coatings that are thick and rubbery. Big problem is that it thins due to surface tension at outside corners which quickly wear through. Once it is opened, it quickly sloughs off. Just my experience...

7. Corpus Skipper

Corpus Skipper Hopeless Boataholic

Probably not, they're not designed for marine use. Maybe good for the cockpit.

8. Busted Knuckle

Busted Knuckle Junior Member

9. yokebutt

yokebutt Boatbuilder

Knuckle,

Interesting product, might come in handy someday, thanks.

Yokebutt.

10. Busted Knuckle

Busted Knuckle Junior Member

I am in the process of rebuilding the floor in a 27' Century Raven. I came across this product about a year ago from someone on this board. I am going to give it a try, I will post the results.
    I am going to try and use it directly over the plywood without fiberglassing the deck. I am also going to use it for a fish locker below the deck, hopefully it will work, looks promising.