Gelcoat - How do I get a high gloss shine

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by wet-foot, May 14, 2007.

1. wet-foot

wet-foot Senior Member

wouldn't want to be the one to polish that big dog!!!!!!

2. buckknekkid

buckknekkid Senior Member

It takes about 4 to 5 hours a side and I have a large Makita buffer but put the wax on with a smaller one. Then we finish it off with a polisher. One weekend every two months or so. Im ust going to apply the anti fouling now and dip it in the water.

3. wet-foot

wet-foot Senior Member

What method should I use to polish ....... should I use a fine lambs wool buffer keep the surface damp and clean the pad as needed. Then let it dry and buff off the residue with another clean lambs wool pad? Then repeat for the waxing cycle? I ordered some Aqua Buff ...... and really want a showroom shine!

4. fiberglass jack

fiberglass jack Senior Member

cotton pad 3m makes a good one, you also want a spur for the pad what you do is spin the pad on low to med and run the spur on the pad yjis will remove build up compound, i just use a wooden stir dtick, lambs wool is to soft for aqua buff snd you will wear out the pad fast

5. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Well ille just give you my 10cents worth.

I use Formula 1 carnuba car wax, and its made guess where? --America--in a place called ( im reading the bottle in front of me) Manitowoc WI USA ( where the hell is that)

Ive tried 3m from the boat shop and you know what I think its the same stuff at about 1/10 of the price.

Cant be sure of course, but it looks the same,smells the same and tates the same(only kidding).

AND just as bloody good for my slighty oxidised 4 year old gell coat.

6. fiberglass jack

sorry about the bad spelling on the last post too much resin fumes

7. wet-foot

wet-foot Senior Member

Ordered some aqua buff will have it in about a week ......... anxious to see if I can achieve the high gloss shine.

8. fiberglass jack

who did you order it from

9. wet-foot

wet-foot Senior Member

Aqua Buff
    16 oz of 1000 and 2000 cost 32 us to ship to ND. border town, just an hour away. Even West Systems it simplifies things so much if I bring the goods through customs.

What is the best finishing material for a small plug about .5 cubic feet?
    Will only need it once to make a mold. Will aerosol spray paint work or should I stick with gel coat? thx in advance ........ great advice!!!!!:)

10. JRL

JRL Im with stupid

Aerosol will most likely react with the gelcoat that you will be using on your mold. Unless you use PVA as a barrier.

A polyester based primer is what I would use. You can wet sand it and polish it to a mirror shine and it wont react with gelcoat (for obvious reasons).

EDIT: Just finished these today....just to give you an idea of how well this stuff works. They were made the exact way I mentioned above. 1/8" ply wood shaped and then finished the plug with poly primer. Wet sanded and polished. Then pulled a male/female mold. AquaBuff followed by 3M finishing polish.

These are the upper and lower plate molds for a transom I building for my kayak. Sick of all the wind were having in south FL.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. wet-foot

wet-foot Senior Member

polyester based primer - what brand do you suggest?
    3M finishing polish - my search turned up lots, which one do you use?
    What are you using for buffing pads?

If I follow the same steps you suggest above can I get gelcoat to gloss-up like your panels? that's what I'm looking for ....... thx

12. JRL

JRL Im with stupid

I use Duratec Surfacing primer. Its dark grey and shows imperfections well.

I knock the orange peel down with 400 grit paper (till all orange peel is gone). Then sand as follows...600, 1000, 1500. Clean paper, water, and tool constantly.

After that I polish it with a 3M 3" wool pad. They are pretty durable, but, Aquabuff will eat them after a few polishing sessions. I use a cheap Astro Pneumatic mini polisher. Its works well.

I mist the part with a spray bottle when the polish begins to get tacky.

I really am not sure of which finishing polish I have from 3M. I never really read the bottle. Its super slick, and stays wet for a long time.

Once your plug is done, its ok if there are still some noticeable sanding mark. They will come out as very small positives on the mold. Keep in mind Im talking really faint sanding marks, not 600 grit size.

From there you sand the surface of your mold with 2000 grit paper and hit it with aquabuff and/or finishing polish. It should shine awesome at that point.

Other things that will help is Duratec clear additive. It will make your primer a little less viscious, and make the primer shine a little better. It also helps reduce surface porosity on your molds surface. Another thing that helps reduce surface porostiy is to spray your first layer of gel very thin. It will let any trapped air during the spraying process come to the surface. If your brushing it on then its not such a big deal.

13. fiberglass jack

Duratec Surfacing primer is the cats ***, sands easy and will polish easy, i find that if you sand it with 600 with a da sander (air) the primer will start to polish , duratec products are made for the mould making indudtry and are the best to save time and the quality is second to non

14. wet-foot

wet-foot Senior Member

I hear all things good with respect to Duratec, will give it a go.

15. JRL

JRL Im with stupid

Oh!!!!

Thanks for the tip! Time to hit up my boss for some 600.

By the way Duratec and Aquabuff are made by the same company. They are both a Hawkeye Industries product. Or its the other way around.