core-cell deck fabrication

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by dolsen, Jun 19, 2006.

1. dolsen

dolsen New Member

I am rebuilding a 35' center console offshore fishing boat that was damaged during hurricane season, hull is fine and strong, deck was damaged by lifting cardle from salvage company. Damaged areas extend for about 10' on both port and starbaord sides in the center-aft section, center of boat is open and hull was not compromised. I have fabricated the new deck side pieces with 3/4" core-cell foam and laminated into the existing undamaged deck,(existing deck molds were not available) it looks like the original deck now, just have not laminated the exterior fabric as of yet. My question is since the original deck was not core-cell, what laminate schedule do you think I should use over the 3/4" core-cell exterior to give it enough rigidity and strength. I have fabricated core-cell bulkhead pieces every 18" on the interior of the core-cell deck areas to add strength since it didn't come from a mold. Now I have to laminate over the exterior of the core-cell. How many layers of what type of fabric would anyone suggest, the core-cell is faired and well laminated to the existing hull internally, I want the exterior to be strong but not overdue it. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

2. buckknekkid

buckknekkid Senior Member

Bin there with a 33 Donzi,,, you should have ground somewhere by now with a gradual thickness difference ,this would expose their layup. Got any pics?

3. dolsen

dolsen New Member

Picture of deck damage

here is a shot of the damage on the port side. The question is that the new deck componments are using 3/4" core-cell, how many/type of fabric your you recommend on the exterior. The original deck was hand laid solid laminate made in a mold. The core-cell was easy to work with, very strong, now I have to finish it off. 2 layers of 12oz fabric was my idea, any suggestions would be great

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.