Gelcoat graphics.

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by PMR1975, Apr 8, 2016.

1. PMR1975

PMR1975 New Member

Hi guy's I am looking for some answers on in gelcoat graphics.I see these bass boats with the different colors gelcoat and my questions is an I am sure there is no one answer.At what point do you pull tape off to spray the next color I am guessing of you wait to long you will pull up the gel you just put on.I have many other questions an could go on.Any books or video suggestions would be great thank you.

2. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

You don't wait long, just a couple minutes, but it can vary a great deal depending on the exact design, application method, gel coat, ambient temperature, plus other things. A simple tape line can be difficult to get right at times, bass boats take a high degree of skill and experience.

3. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

I think most of the really good graphics boats these days are using vinyl wraps. The graphics are printed out on a large plotter, then just applied to the hull.

4. PMR1975

PMR1975 New Member

Thank guys for the comments I am just going to have to experiment an learn.

5. SukiSolo

SukiSolo Senior Member

One way of creating fancy graphics is cut your own out of Frisk film and then gelcoat, and whip it off after some minutes. Like Ondarvr says, getting the timing right can be tricky...;) however this mode does give true gelcoat not a vinyl. It's important if you want a truly smooth finish as for a racing craft.

6. PMR1975

PMR1975 New Member

Trial an error on test panel's I will figur it out.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.