Calculating how much resin to buy.

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by skiffish, Jul 18, 2005.

1. skiffish

skiffish Junior Member

I am doing a hand layup and wondered if there is a calculation to get in the ballpark of how much resin to glass i need to buy? Basic hull came out of a mold many years ago and i will be grinding inside to get to fresh glass. I am going to reinforce with good layer inside and proceed to stringers deck etc. thanks for feedback.

2. yokebutt

yokebutt Boatbuilder

Skiffish,

I don't think adding to the laminate thickness is a very efficient way to increase strength. It's probably better to increase the number of stringers or transverse floors. By grinding the inner-most roving, you're practically eliminating it's strength.

Yoke.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2005
  3. skiffish

skiffish Junior Member

Yokebut,

My only concern is the fact that it looks like they didn't fully wet out the roving and the glass fibers on the surface had mildew, which kind of confirms that. They also did such a thin layer. Since I will need to grind before i could get stringers to stick, i figured that a layer of stitch fabric would add slight strength and thickness and give a good bond for the stringers.

I read an article showing that you can figure on 1 oz resin to 1 oz cloth, and 2oz resin to 1 oz mat as an approximator. Anyone else have the similar experience?

4. Dutch Peter

Dutch Peter Senior Member

How much resin you need depends on the type of cloth, CSM has a different glass/resin ratio as WR. Once you know (approx.) how much cloth you're using and what type, you can also calculate the (approx.) amount of resin.

Search the forum on this subject, as there is a nice discussion on the glass/resin ratios of different types of cloth.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.