First Build / First Post / First Question:)

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by stinkdome, Dec 1, 2012.

1. stinkdome

stinkdome New Member

Sorry for another "first build" post and for the typical "which plan is best"questions but it would be great to get some feedback given the following constraints:

A) Not shooting for the moon the first time around - want to be engaged and proud of the final product without the frustration of being in way over my head

B) My wife has to be equally engaged and see progress (i.e. the build time needs to be ~1 year). Anything longer and I'm sure I'll start fielding questions about why we didn't spend the money on a vacation:)

C) As a first time builder, want to make sure that I'm not going over the waterfall by myself. In other words, I want to make sure the plans are calibrated to a first time builder with plenty of support, forums, and folks who I can talk to that will make up for my lack of boat building knowledge.

With that said, I'm extremely excited about this endeavor, handy around the shop, and have been looking at the following plans. Again, any feedback (good / bad / ugly) would be much appreciated!

Selway Fisher 15' Lobster Boat - http://www.selway-fisher.com/Mcup16.htm#TER

Nexus Marine 16' San Juan Dory - http://www.nexusmarine.com/san_juan_dory.html

Devlin Design Candlefish 16 - http://store.devlinboat.com/candlefish.aspx

Glen L 16' Wee Hunk - https://www.boatdesigns.com/16-Wee-Hunk-SG-power-dory-with-center-console/products/376/

2. eyschulman

eyschulman Senior Member

Devlin boat real Yar and rides well

3. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Way back in 1957i was still at school and i used to make model boats in my spare time . 1958 i started work and got a car and next on the list was a boat so i ratted through the designs of models and found the one i really liked and so did some better drawings and added reall measurements . each week i bought timber and screws and nails and plywood till i was sure i had everything i needed and then away i went and made everything myself . I did wood work at school and i was top of the class for technical drawing so it was easy and straight forward made frames made the stem made the transom and fabricated the keel then a set you frame to build the boat on abd i was totally absorbed and it all went together a piece of cake .all my friends dissapeared and kept asking about progress and when was the boat going in the water bt no one evr came near . i was solo my dad kept a eye on what i was doing but its was my project sink of swim . Nothing got in my way i had everything well sorted and fixed in my mind Building boats only requires logical thinking and while you are making one thing you need to be thinking about what will be next and have this fixed in you mind so when you get to that and start your mind is thinking about the next step further on and so on .I FINISHED THE BOAT AND WAS READY TO LAUNCH AND BOY OH BOY I HAD MORE FRIENDS THAN I KNEW WHAT TO DO WITH !! Launching day and told people where i was going and went some where else instead . I didnt need a crowd just wanted myself and my girlfriend . i was so proud when it slipped off the trailer and floated Just like i had hoped
    Started the motor and up the river and turned round and came back . wow what a feeling !!!.

I was 18 years old and built my own boat from a pencil drawing on a A3 piece of paper .
    Pick the prettyest boat, buy the plans, and go make it .its simple but take one step at a time . :)

4. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

...the lobster boat looks nice, strip planking is very good, strong, finishes nicely and can be built as a first timer with excellent results.

5. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Attached Files:

6. stinkdome

stinkdome New Member

Thanks folks - after consideration and looking into the plans that have a good amount of support from builders with expertise.... think I'm going to go the Devlin route. First build here we go!

7. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

I like the Wee Hunk, but possibly it was the model next to the boat.

Keep us informed.

Next time maybe you will graduate to a sail boat (sorry, just the way I'm bent)

Good luck.

8. messabout

messabout Senior Member

The Selway-Fisher boat is a dandy looking boat and I supect that it will perform well enough too. That one, however, would be the last one on my list. Why? Egad, do you know how many hours it would take to rip all those strips? The neighbors, the wife, and the birds in the trees would object to all that noise and sawdust. After all the ripping and planing and routing the coves and beads you still have to put it all together. It would take a much longer time to build than the Devlin or one of the others. I still like the S-F though.

9. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Messabout,

The strips will take one day.
    Dont' Bead and Cove.

To each his own.

10. bntii

bntii Senior Member

11. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

You better be considering some sort of an Privacy Enclosure up front for your Lady's comfort station.

12. 805gregg

805gregg Junior Member

Check out Phil Bolgers Diablo, an easy first build.

13. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I'll add my Digger 17 will fit the bill easily too. Very easy to build quickly.

14. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

I think you made the right decision - 325 lbs hull wieght, up to 30hp, middle deck, left hand/right hand tiller , great freeboard for chop. stitch and glue, $55 plans etc

Adding a note to myself - the other bigger boat I think is xlnt value is the Tollman skiff
    http://www.alaska.net/~tolmanskiffs/

Outboards 40 -150 hp though, ( 700 lbs)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012

15. 805gregg

805gregg Junior Member

I found another nice one called "Tango" I got the plans for that one.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.