Gel coat question

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by mrbcurry1, Dec 27, 2012.

1. mrbcurry1

mrbcurry1 Junior Member

What's the best way to darken red gel coat? Thanks

2. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

Old and sun burned I quess?

3. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Bring a sample panel to your gel coat supplier. He will take one litre of base colour gel coat and custom mix.
    Its a frustrating waste of time to mix yourself.

4. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

The question is not clear. Are you wanting to darken gel coat on the boat or in the tin.:confused:

5. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

My guess is he's got liquid gel coat that's colored red and he wants to make it a darker red.

6. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

The add some brown pigment.

7. midnitmike

midnitmike Senior Member

To darken almost any color just add a bit of black, or brown as Frosty suggested.

I found that my local ACE hardware carried a type of universal colorant that could readily be used to tint my gel coat without any adverse affects. Since my color demands are normally pretty basic (white/gray) a small can of lamp black colorant should last me a long time. I get the impression that in time you're going to require a pretty extensive color selection and or knowledge base to met your customer demands. If thats the case then you might find your local paint store to be an invaluable resource.

MM

8. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

9. joescarab

joescarab New Member

You can always add black gelcoat. I would stay clear of adding alot of pigment to allready pigmented gelcoat because you dont wanna put to much pigment then it will not dry correctly. Check out fiberglasssupplydepot.com i believe they sell the black gelcoat plus they have all the different pigments plus they have good pricing better then west marine or lowes ive found.

10. midnitmike

midnitmike Senior Member

The one nice thing about using a concentrated black colorant is you won't need to add much to see a significant difference.... in this case a little dab will do you. I agree that adding too much can affect the curing process, so it's always best to test whatever concoction you come up with first before commiting it to glass.

MM

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.