Gel coat question

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by bobbyt43, Oct 5, 2010.

1. bobbyt43

bobbyt43 New Member

I recently bought a 1987 21' Bayliner Trophy Hardtop. After making repairs that I knew were needed steering cable, replace outdrive, and fixing rub rail molding I noticed that there was a lot of caulk on the underside of the rubrail. I then walked around the boat hitting the sides with my hands. It appears that the gel coat may be loose from the fiberglass on both sides. The transom and about 7 feet from the bow back appear solid. Is this a major structural issue? The hull itself seems strong and there are no soft spots anywhere on the boat. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks , Bobby

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The gelcoat is maybe 1/8" thick or so. If it comes loose it will crack and fall off. Delamination is a serious structural issue. You need someone knowledgeable to inspect your boat.

3. bobbyt43

bobbyt43 New Member

gel coat

Thanks Gonzo;

The gel coat is in tact. Someone told me that it is possible that where the upper and lower part of the boat are put together may have seperated. I am going to take the rub rail off and look to see if I can tell whether or not this is the problem.

bobby