Windshield frame

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by brokenrinker, Sep 6, 2007.

1. brokenrinker

brokenrinker New Member

I'm new here so please be patient with me.
    Moving my open bow runabout out of the garage I snagged the top of the windshield frame on the garage door and basically destroyed one section of it.

It is a fairly heavy aluminum extrusion with compound bends in it. Finding a replacement is proving to be pretty much impossible. I think that this member isn't so much structural as it is cosmetic.

I have access to some CNC machine tools and a wire EDM (making an extrusion die?) but I have no experience with aluminum extrusion or how to recreate the required contour.

Any suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. alan white

alan white Senior Member

I would replace the entire top exrtusion with a custom mahogany piece. I see the boat has some (fake?) wood trim already. I have done this before. It might be the best solution if you can't find an extrusion. I'm guessing the original pieces are bright anodized, and a custom extrusion would have to duplicate the finish as well. You'll go broke going that way.
    Either you get lucky and find the correct extrusion, or replace the whole top molding with matched pieces, or go with a wood replacement. I would go with the wood replacement, which adds to the boat's aesthetics in any case.

Alan

3. brokenrinker

brokenrinker New Member

That is a really interesting idea. Any suggestions on where to look for an individual capable of doing the work? I'd like it to look better than what I'm capable of doing.

4. alan white

alan white Senior Member

I sure wish I lived closeby! A job like that would have to be done on the boat.
    I know no one in your area that could do it, though I'm sure there are a few.
    It should be laminated from thinner strips, glued with epoxy, and well sealed with epoxy and many coats of varnish. Maybe someone who trips across this thread.
    A.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.