BW Velvet Drive, V drive

Discussion in 'Inboards' started by alaska_av8r, Aug 1, 2011.

1. alaska_av8r

alaska_av8r New Member

While maneuvering today to tie up with a friends boat I shifted the port tranny from forward to neutral then on to reverse as I pivoted the boat. Well the boat didn't pivot as expected and my port engine died.

I have damaged the transmission and I am trying to determine just how bad since I may be attempting the repair myself.

I pulled hatches to gain access and here is what I have. I disconnect the shift cable from the shift lever on the side of the v-drive and placed it in neutral, when I started the engine the prop shaft rotated as if it was in forward, when I placed the shift lever in reverse the shaft slowed, and stopped meanwhile making rattling noises. I honestly can't remember but I think as I left it there the shaft finally reversed direction.

I then placed it in neutral and shut the engine down and limped home on my starboard engine.

Any thoughts or suggestions at this point prior to me pulling the v-drive?

Any help appreciated....

Thanks
    Tim

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You should buy the shop manual and troubleshoot it first. When you say shaft, is it the one between the transmission and the Vdrive or the one going to the propeller?

3. alaska_av8r

alaska_av8r New Member

thanks Gonzo, by shaft I mean the one going to the propeller, when I move the shift lever on the side of the transmission from fwd-neut-reverse, it works in fwd and the propeller shaft rotates correctly, when i move the shift lever to neutral the propeller shaft still rotates in the forward direction, when I move the shifter to reverse I hear noises and the propeller will slowly stop spinning.

I would get the manual but I am not sure which one i need to get.

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

There is only one manual that covers the 71 and 72 transmissions. You can get it directly from Velvet Drive. It sounds like clutch damage.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.