Yanmar life expectancy

Discussion in 'Diesel Engines' started by Klepanda, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Klepanda

Klepanda Junior Member

Hello!

I am thinking about purchasing Beneteau 50, 2004, with 100-hp yanmar diesel. Before going to professional survey of the boat, i tried to find the figures abot how long yanmar diesel engines can work - in hours? This concrete boat has 3500 hours, so is it a half of its resourse? Or 80%?

Certainly i understand, that the biggest question is the quality of service. This is a charter boat, but mainained by a professional team. But if we assume that the diesel was maintained properly, how long can it work and what necessary things should be done after the purchase (if it happens)?

Or how much it can cost to replace the engine?

Thanks!

2. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

The reason you can't find this information is that there just aren't many small Yanmar's replaced in boats like the one you are looking at. 8000 hours is standard expected life as an auxiliary engine. 10,000 hours is certainly possible.

There is no need to replace an engine if it is working properly and is well maintained.

Keep the diesel (and tanks) clean, keep the lubricating oil fresh and watch the seals for leakage. Change coolant when appropriate, replace zincs in the raw water system, etc...

Basically, all Yanmars come with an owner's manual. Inside is a chart that shows service items and suggested service intervals. Simply perform the required service as indicated in the manual, keep your tank clean and you will not have a problem.

3. Klepanda

Klepanda Junior Member

Cool!
    Thank you!

4. MechaNik

MechaNik Senior Member

Really if you are concerned about the engine you should have someone look at it. At least get a compression check on it and take the oil pressure from a few positions. If there are running logs or commissioning data from when the engine was installed this will help determine it's condition. Most engines are more economical to rebuild than replace, and it helps if it is not run into the ground before you choose to rebuild the lower end.

5. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Not a bad idea . Typical charter engine damage is overheating or running low on oil. A good Engineer who know your engine will spot it fast .

In general Marine engines are very robust. At 3000 hrs you should have plenty of life left. I have 9000 hours on a 4 cyclinder Cummins and 13,000 hours on a MTU six cylinder. No problems.

The wear out, service items at 3000 hs would be the equipment bolted onto the engine.... alternators, starters, pumps, exhaust, fuel lift pumps, injectors, heat exchangers coolers, couplings, hoses ....... These are normal maintenance, service issues for a 3000 hr marine engine .

In Croatia they have talented diesel engineers and the price is good. .

6. Boston

Boston Previous Member

I look at three things when I am looking at an engine and I want to find out if its worth spending more on an actual mechanic. Pressure test, its easy, pretty much idiot proof actually and you can rent the tool. Oil pressure from both ends of the engine if at all possible, you can typically pick up a gauge for $5 from a salvage yard. A stethoscope, yup a stethoscope, you would be surprised how things sound threw (through ?) one. Its also pretty much idiot proof, just put the end of it onto the motor and work your way around in a systematic way so you get a good listen to several areas of each cylinder. Any major difference between cylinders is a problem, if they all sound similar your probably looking at a good engine. If you want to get tricky with it look down low on the engine block with it and you can hear the main bearings spinning, same deal, if they all sound similar your good to go but thats just if you feel like being anal about it. Most guys just listen to the valves and for anything ugly in the timing chain area. Overhead cams if it has them and so on. Keep it simple though if your not familiar with a stethoscope and just listen to the valve train and the timing chain. Those three simple things will typically tell you everything you need to know, that and check the oil and coolant.

my two cents
    other than that
    what Cat said
    oh and Michael to

PS
    if you end up needing a rebuild have the factory do it
    I've been robbed to many times to be able to recommend anything but a factory rebuild

7. Klepanda

Klepanda Junior Member

So - engineer wanted)

Ok, so i need the diesel engineer i will trust. And plenty of life - sounds good. Thanks to all %))

8. kenJ

kenJ Senior Member

Having the oil analysed is also helpful in determining the condition of the engine.

9. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

"Having the oil analysed is also helpful in determining the condition of the engine."

But it has to be "old" in use oil.

If the owner did the first oil change after 3500 hours , before putting the boat up for sale , the sampling will be useless.

FF

10. Klepanda

Klepanda Junior Member

That's pretty clear. I thing the oil change was done regularly - it is a big charter company with decent people. Actually i hope it is ok. The other boat that is for sale is Grand Soleil 46.3, 2005, 1300 hours. And private one - so i need to make a choice after examining both boats by professional surveyours.

11. mark775

mark775 Guest

The cooling system is much more important than the above. Yanmars are a lot of dissimilar metals, the cooling system can easily put you over the line into "totaled" catagory. "Marine age" of an engine is more of an indicator of its condition than operating hours. A "professionally maintained" engine can mean something good... or that the guy who wanted to get off of the boat every day didn't perform maintenance because he cared but because he had to. In general, hired charter captains would be the absolute last demographic one would want to take care of their engine. Also, a forum of "boat designers" might have an engine knowledge slightly better than the general population but try asking Tony Athens on BoatDiesel.com for knowledgable, pertenant assessment of your potential purchase. He will likely tell you to post pictures, get an engine survey (as differentiated from a "surveyor") and that the cooling system needs to come apart for examination before purchase. Oh, and oil examination is only useful for trend analysis. One sample, particularly as indicated above with the oil just changed, is near worthless.

12. MechaNik

MechaNik Senior Member

I would have thought that when buying a charter boat that gets hired to anyone with the cash that the engine might not be your biggest concern?

13. Klepanda

Klepanda Junior Member

Not the biggest but one of those.
    B-50 has a solid hull by Farr Design, so if it is not damaged and no sign of osmosis, and the rigging is ok - the engine can be one of potential problems. Sails will be new.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.