how to do jackshaft

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Guest, Dec 3, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Hello all,

I am working on a bare 25 foot hull. I must do new stringers and transom.
    I want to put an inboard 260 HP 5.7L Mercruiser engine and jackshaft to an Alpha drive.

I need information on how to do the jackshafting.

Thanking you in advance.

Joseph.

2. CaptPPan

CaptPPan Junior Member

Check out this site. They have a bearing that you may need between the engine and the out drive. I'm thinking about using there system in my inboard.

http://jim@aquadriveusa.com/home.htm

3. guest12020101217

guest12020101217 Junior Member

I have been doing a similar thing at work. The inner part of the stern drive has a extra part that fits the same as if the engine and sterndrive was close coupled. This part support the jackshaft and the stern drive leg shaft. The bell housing on the engine is replaced to allow the other end of the jackshaft to be joined. All the parts are standard bits from Mercruiser and can be found in the "Quicksilver" part catalogue (if you are in UK).
    There is only one length of jackshaft made. It's 1.5m. If you need a different length the, buy the 1.5m one and a tranmission company can use the original end and produce a new shaft at the length you need.
    The attachment below is from http://www.marinepower.com/. Marine Power Europe, Inc. is a subsidiary of Mercury Marine USA.
    Contact your engine supplier who can arrange everthing or mercruiser direct.

Hope that helps

cjdengate

Attached Files:

4. yipster

yipster designer

most interesting attachment, did not know that. now a bigger boat :D

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The jack shaft has a splined end that fits the regular coupler in the engine. It goes to the splined end of the drive shaft that protrudes from the gimbal bearing. There is also a carrier bearing close to the aft end.

6. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Thank you every one you are all gentle men !!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.