GC 32 super cat

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Doug Lord, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

GC32 super cat

According to Andrew(macca) this is the top speed and average speed of a GC32 today on Lake Garda:
    click-

Attached Files:

3. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Great picture of the GC32 at record speed from catsailingnews ,picture by Sander van der Borch:

Attached Files:

4. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

5. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Gc32

Interesting and enthusiastic excerpt from an article by a guy seeing the GC32's for the first time: (read the whole article here: http://trends.nauticexpo.com/news_trends/marseille-one-design-foiling-week/ )-also a bit on the DIAM 24's....

And as soon as we left the port, at first sight of the GC-32 in the south bay of Marseille, I fully understood the unforgettable experience upon which I was embarking.

Despite a reefed mainsail in anticipation of stronger winds, the three catamarans were flying at breathtaking speeds. The few cruisers sailing in the near vicinity appeared entirely motionless next to these “apparent wind creating machines.” I also think the monohull cruiser-racers upon which I’ve raced for years were suddenly relegated to Prehistoric times!

To be fair, the GC-32s have a little something extra. Equipped with L-shaped foils and T-shaped rudders, they closely resemble the AC-72, the “flying” boats that revolutionized the America’s Cup in summer 2013. Even without a hard rig, the speed of these vessels is impressive – the current record is 37.9 knots!

13 knots of wind, the initial start became clear, the competitors were slowed at 10 boatlengths below the line. However, the clock already read 15 seconds. “They’re being too cautious, they’re going to be late crossing the line,” I told myself. The three boats suddenly bore away and the increase in speed was immediate. Full foiling, they crossed the starting line right on time. The course was similar to the style of the America’s Cup, and the first leg was a reaching leg. My boat driver accelerated to keep up, and we were cruising at 25 knots. The boats were flying one meter above the surface. Aside from this unusual sight, what struck me most was not hearing the noise of the hull hitting the water. The boats let out a rocket-like hiss, a sound only punctuated by the noise of the sheets easing off and the words exchanged between team members.

6. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Gc32

GC32 on-board racing from catsailingnews:

Onboard Video and comments below sent by PJ Dwarshuis
    -----------------
    "I got the opportunity to join some racing on the GC 32 event in Marseille.
    Along my mate and Co-designer on our Gunboat G4 project , Rudo Enserink, we were invited to race with Team Magic Marine & Team Armin Strom.

We had a hell of ride . Really Good . The GC 32 class was founded in 2013 by Laurent Lenne and Andrew MacPherson. It was initially received with some scepticism, but I can tell you first hand that after transforming this boat into a foiler , this class can become a hit.

The size is just big enough to get an ' AC experience ' for a fraction of the price .
    The boats provide perfect handling , but they are still challenging and pretty affordable for private and sponsored teams

Probably the biggest bang for the buck .. besides an DNA A class off course ;-)

For Me and Rudo it was very useful to get the feel with a pretty big foiling cat, as we are working hard on our Gunboat G4 project , the first ' cruiser foiler'
    The first boat is underway now at Holland Composites , and this will a bigger ' cruising brother ' of the GC 32.
    It was good to see that the GC 32 felt really safe . A foiling A class is much more stressful i can tell you.

The GC 32 guys Laurent Lenne , Macca and new class manager christian Peer deserves a big thumbs up"
    PJ //

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HT0xa7D_r4

7. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Gc 32

From Andrew/GC 32:
    Our Hungarian team just smashed the previous record on Lake Balton held by the P50 cat.
    Previous record was 2h 27min and they smashed it by 25 minutes in the GC32.

----------------
    UPDATE: first USA boat was delivered yesterday and did 30 knots in its first hour of flying!

click- 1) The Hungarian record holder(picture by Cserta Gabor), 2) First GC32 in USA:

Attached Files:

8. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Gc32

A post by Paul Flados on SA looking at the win by the GC32 in the round the island race near Jamestown, RI:

I ended up at : http://aroundjamestownrecord.com/record-attempts/

I took their chart & resorted it by time (smallest first) and listed the under 2 hr finishes below

Their time looks pretty good when you consider the competition including a couple of M32s, a foiling kiteboard and a Moth.

Boat Name Boat Type Category Attempting Elapsed Time Skipper
    10/26/14 Argo GC 32 Multihull & Outright 0 hr 58 min 31 sec Jason Carroll
    06/11/14 Bronco Marstrom 32 Multihull & Outright 1 hr 02 min 38 sec Jonny Goldsberry
    07/05/14 Cash & Burn Foiling Kiteboard Under 32′ & Outright 1 hr 03 min 08 sec Zach Marks
    10/24/13 Ultimate Pressure Marstrom 32 Multihull & Outright 1 hr 07 min 59 sec Jerry Kirby
    07/06/14 Cash & Burn Foiling Kiteboard Under 32′ & Outright 1 hr 09 min 24 sec Zach Marks
    09/09/14 Bronco Marstrom 32 Multihull & Outright 1 hr 13 min 09 sec Michael Dominguez
    10/02/13 Bronco Marstrom 32 Multihull & Outright 1 hr 13 min 17 sec Michael Dominguez
    06/12/14 Bella Mente Mini-Maxi 72′ Keelboat & Outright 1 hr 19 min 35 sec Hap Fauth
    10/24/14 Argo GC 32 Multihull & Outright 1 hr 21 min 40 sec Jason Carroll
    10/25/14 Argo GC 32 Multihull & Outright 1 hr 23 min 00 sec Jason Carroll
    09/22/14 Bronco Moth Under 32’ & Outright 1 hr 29 min 39 sec Tommy Loughborough
    07/05/14 Bazinga! F27 Under 32’ & Outright 1 hr 33 min 53 sec Dave Lussier
    10/09/12 18′ Hobie Tiger 18′ Hobie Tiger Multihull & Outright 1 hr 47 min 24 sec Dan Flanigan

9. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

If you liked rum you would be putting the heaviest skipper in charge for that record attempt :)

10. Marmoset

Marmoset Senior Member

That's darn fast!

Barry

11. P Flados

P Flados Senior Member

I wonder how much time the ARGO team had on the a CG32 before their record.

It looks like they did the above with very little boat experience and took the record on the third try.

And yes the rum reward was probably very sweet indeed.

12. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

13. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Gc32

They've had trouble with the foils breaking on several boats-must not have the loads dialed in yet. Amazing they were able to finish-and get the record- with the broken foil. The uptip portion must have broken clean off?

14. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

15. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.