Gas in crankcase oil problem

Discussion in 'Gas Engines' started by jflongwell, Jul 28, 2007.

1. jflongwell

jflongwell Junior Member

I have a 350 Volvo and the fluid level in the crankcase rises after running. I drained out 8 quarts of a very thin oil last weekend and added 4 qts of fresh oil, I would have replaced the filter, but did not have one at that time. I received a note that the contamination is gas from either the fuel pump or carb. The engine runs well at idle, so I removed the fuel pump (Carter O-2208). Anyone familiar with diagnosing these or ever had this problem?
    Thanks.

2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

To get that amount of fuel in would point to the fuel pump. You might find that you have an automotive pump fitted, which is fine by me but they do only have one diagphram. The marine equivalent has two to stop fuel entering the cranckase.

3. jflongwell

jflongwell Junior Member

Fuel pump

The fuel pump appears to be the original. One of my marina mates has one for a 350 and I am planning to install it, repalce all the oil and filter and see what happens.
    Thanks for the help.

4. jflongwell

jflongwell Junior Member

Thanks for the help. The fuel pump was OK. The carb (Holley 4bbl) required rebuild. It was a pretty simple fix.

5. alaskamokaiman

alaskamokaiman Junior Member

Now you have the problem that the bearings have been wash with gas.

When this happen to my engine I had to replace the bearings not to long after.

My be washing some kerosene through them would save them.

6. kenJ

kenJ Senior Member

Rather than a kerosene wash I think a better idea would be to change oil/filter, disconnect the coil and crank the engine for 3 or 4 - 30 second bursts. Cranking should be long enough to get the oil pressure up. Do this cycle a couple times allowing the starter to cool off, may also want to recharge the battery. That should get any gas out of the bearings. After the last cycle pull the dipstick. If the oil is still too thin or smells of gas, change it again.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.