Building a SOF-Kayak in India - suggest some wood please...

Discussion in 'Materials' started by millionswords, Feb 24, 2009.

1. millionswords

millionswords HomeMade Kayak?

hi all.
    I'm planning to make a Skin On Frame Kayak for recreational use.
    I may not get just the wood that you guys get at your local store, I live in South India, and want to know what kind of wood would be right choice?

Please tell in what terms you people decide the wood? Like - should it be heavy or light weight? grains? knots? what is the criteria that decides the choice?

Why I ask this is because, here I may not get red wood or cedar that you guys get out there, or imported wood does not come in full length while I prefer full length over scarfing or butt join.

And the name varies a lot in local languages, so it is best to tell what specification or the scientific name for the same. I can source the closest match.

I plan to make the kayak with Marine ply cross sections and hence wood is needed for the gunwales and chine stringers only.

Here are a few timber I might get around my place and their density.

1. Aini/Aangili 595 Kg/m3
    2. Bean Teak - 675
    3. Jack 595
    4. Saj/Lauraceae - 880
    5. Red Cedar - 450 Kg/m3

How about Rubber-tree wood? It is very light, bends well and looks strong. It is usually used in packings.

I presume the wood has to be moderately strong, moderately packed, least knots or no knots, least or no bent/twisted and light weight.

[WRC] seems to be the best choice for you people, but I do not think I can get the same here, though some imported is available it must be short in length.

I came across the White Pinewood timber an hour before, it looked white/yellow little knots, close grain, light weight (real light) and available. If there is any thought about white pine please leave a message. [Pinewood is used in matchsticks making, packing heavy machinery, automotive loading in trucks[1 ton weights], chalk box making, and a variety of other uses, and some office furniture making, with varnish it looks nice and beautiful].

thanks,
    MS

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.