Thermoform

Discussion in 'Materials' started by hardshell, Feb 21, 2009.

1. hardshell

hardshell New Member

I am in the process of designing a line of small boats and kayaks, and am trying to decide what type of material to use in production. The boats on the board now are an 8' pram, 9' dinghy, 15' square-stern canoe, and 12' & 14' kayak.

Fiberglass composite is the easiest from a start-up production standpoint, and rotomold plastic is cheapest (in many ways) for mass production. That said, thermoforming seems like it may be the best option long-term, but I know very little about it. Are there size or shape limitations? What are the best material options? There are a number of manufacturers that sell small bass boats, canoes, and pedal boats to the WalMart crowd, but I want to be high-end.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

2. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

The nice thing about fiberglass is you can repair it. Many of the plastics ie PE is not so easy to repair. Fiberglass is going to be lighter as well. If I am going to build myself a boat like the sizes you indicate I would use fiberglass.

There is nothing as nice as a well thought through boat that provides for almost anything. Most boat builders just want to sell you a boat.

3. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

High end kayak is carbon. Little point unless it is a well designed hull. Just a waste of money for mass market use.

Rotomold seems to be the best choice for the sort of boats you describe. I doubt there would be any high end users interested in the boats you nominate.

I consider high end in the USD3k to 5k range and you get something like this for that price:
    http://www.vandusenracingboats.com/

Carbon versions of kayaks like this come in at around 10kg and that light weight adds tremendously to overall utility. It means it can be carried under one arm to the water and a paddler really appreciates not having to push extra weight through the water. No effort at all to lift to the top of the car and place in ceiling rack in the garage.

You can get even lighter weight with carbon sandwich using corecell or honeycomb. This is what high end users are after. It is a case where users are willing to part with more money for less weight. Here is typical example:
    http://www.paddleracer.com/flatwaterboats.htm
    Note the carbon/honeycomb marathon is only 8kg. This is my idea of high end. Anything less is for Joe Average.

From your opening post it seems you are entering a business venture without much idea of the market. Have you used a high end boat like I have linked to? You should have a go on a few different boats. I cannot overstate the importance of low weight. A boat that weighs more than 20kg really requires two people. If it only carries one then it will not be used much. People buy a heavy boat and find they cannot manage it or have to pay a lot of money for lifting roof racks and dolly wheels just to make the thing useable. Once you add all these things up they would have got much better value getting the carbon/honeycomb boat.

The problem with high end kayaks is that they take skill to operate. You would likely find a market in something like a trainer that has better stability than a racing kayak. Only problem is that people will outgrow it. Maybe then you sell them a true high end craft that they can push along at 7 or 8mph.

Rick W

4. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

I was going to add have a look at vacuum injection. It's probably the quickest way to work with glass.

5. hardshell

hardshell New Member

Maybe I should have stated "higher-end". Rick is certainly looking at the highest end --specialty boats for a small market. I understand that market, but it is not large enough to build a business around in the current U.S. economy. The kayaks that I want to produce in 12' & 14' lengths are designed for the Boomer generation, not Olympians. Target weights are under 40# for both lengths. Market research suggests retail prices are under $2000.00 U.S. for kayaks and under $1100.00 for the tenders.

The problem with rotomold is weight. It is extremely difficult to achieve reasonable quality control at lighter weight with structural integrity. Industry average weight for a 12' roto kayak is 50# at 7%+ blem rate. Fiberglass composite boats do offer lighter weight with great structural integrity, but the Royalex (?), and polycarbonate boats currently on the market seem to be only 10% heavier at 1/3 the cost. This is why I asked the thermoform question.

Thanks

6. hardshell

hardshell New Member

Fanie -- that may make glass a better option if I can cut production costs. I think there was something in Pro Boat about it a few months back.

Thanks.

7. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Actually the vac process is going to cost a bit more in consumables, but you can build a boat with less labour and quicker. Thinner, lighter and stronger than hand layed.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.