Galvanized CT wood screws

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Mission Boat, Jul 15, 2006.

1. Gilbert

Gilbert Senior Member

Mission Boat;
    If you can't find HDG wood screws perhaps you should consider using HDG boat nails. I recently replaced quite a lot of bent frames in a small boat that had been originally fastened with galvanized boat nails and was refastened also with galvanized boat nails. The second set of nails were driven fairly close to the originals and typically the second nail was driven at somewhat of an angle to the originals which were for the most part perpendicular to the tangent to the frame. This meant of course that the point of the old nail and the new nail formed a V in the wood which made it almost impossible for the plank to move in relation to the frame. In fact it was so hard to remove the pieces of old frame that I nearly gave the project up as a lost cause. In fact if a friend hadn't offered to let me try his pneumatic palm nailer to massage the pieces of old frame I would not have been able to get the old frame pieces off. All the other methods I tried would have destroyed the planks before they would have released the old frame pieces. I think this may be your best option, or at least you should give it some consideration.

2. adventurecat

adventurecat New Member

Hello Mission Boat

Did you have any luck with your #18 x 2 1/2" Hot Dip Wood Screws?
    I am refastening a 38' Wood Ingrid Ketch and that is exactly the same size I need. Can you contact me and tell me more?
    Jay Gardner
    707-258-2903 off.

3. Mission Boat

Mission Boat Junior Member

Galvanize fastenings

Jay,

Well . . . I quite literally looked around the word, contacting more than 30 major manufacturers, distributors and other suppliers. Finally, the only company that could supply me was Standard Fastenings. Even with that I was forced to work with one of their outlets in the Puget Sound region. Cost of the screws nearly doubled from the first lot of 900 screws that I bought, until I obtained another 2000 about five months later. These are obviously Chinese made screws, but they seemed reasonably good during the refastening. Good luck, and let me know if you need any other hard to find items, such as Irish felt.

Regards,
    Bill

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

www.mcfeelys.com has real boat screws, with the proper shank and good quality fasteners. You'll pay more, but you get what you pay for as a rule.

5. adventurecat

adventurecat New Member

McFeely's Boat Screws

I contacted McFeely's and they do not carry any #18 screws at all so I guess it is Chinese screws afterall. I last bought and installed these in 1977 and they were very good quality and are still in good shape, it will be interesting to find out how these compare. One thing I did do vback then was to spray the 95% cold galv. spray into the holes before the crew went in and then on the head after it was tight, that may have been why the screws looked so good when we inspected at the last survey.
    Does this mean there are no american screw manufacturers AT ALL??

Jay Gardner
    Napa, CA

6. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.