I feel pretty stupid right now please help

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by Triscuit, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Triscuit

Triscuit New Member

I got my first boat this last week and am trying to re wire the mess left behind. I don't know a whole lot about wiring ( just enough to not get electrocuted ) I'm looking at whatever this mess is and I'm just now sure where to start. I know everything works. I've been having to plug everything directly into the battery and would like to get some switches working and everything hooked up to the wall. This is what I looking at. I know the black box is the ground . And the white is the power . I just need to know if I hook the battery directly to these? And how to go about hooking switches up . I know this is the dumbest and easiest thing so give it to me straight and try not to hurt my feelings . Thanks ahead of time

Attached Files:

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Welcome to the forum.

Electrics can be confounding to many. It's not tough, once you get a grip on the basics. The best approach is to work one circuit at a time. I would strongly recommend you get a book, such as "The 12 Volt Bible" or other, so you can get a grasp of the basics. Once you do, it'll be much easier and you have little difficulty sorting your way through it all.

3. JSL

JSL Senior Member

Consider ripping out all the old and re-wiring. Difficult decision to deal with but working around a 'mess' will be a constant distraction and frustration and could even compromise the work you do.
    A friend made this decision and it had a real plus benefit and may have saved his life...... the previous owner had in some areas used single stand wiring (house wiring, or 'bell' wire), a real 'no-no' for boats.

4. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

I fixed those mysteries ONE AT A TIME. Like PAR says.
    Be Patient.
    Put everything through the fuse box, unless that book says not to.

Good money on good material is another life saver.

5. PAR

Ditto the Thud. Ripping it all out may be an eventually, but if done all at once, you may never get it back together again. Work slowly, methodically and one circuit at a time.

6. missinginaction

missinginaction Senior Member

Yeah, you're going to have to go up the learning curve a bit in order to feel comfortable about doing this. Looking at the corroded wire on that white bus and the use of those cheap blue plastic crimps.....well, you're certainly smart enough to realize some improvements are in order.

Different people will point you to different texts. PAR's advise is certainly worth taking. I learned from a book called Boat Owners Mechanical and Electrical Manual by Nigel Calder. Either would be very helpful I'm sure.

While I agree that pulling out all the wiring is a recipe for problems getting things back together, if done carefully and documented you may find it easier to rewire with all of the old "birds nest" out of the way. Before you disassemble take plenty of photos and notes so that you have a reference to go back to should you get confused.

You'll need to learn how to use a multimeter, it's not rocket science but it will save you time, money and frustration.

You'll need new wire and crimps and other supplies if you tackle this. I've used a couple of online suppliers.

www.genuinedealz.com
    www.pacergroup.net

Something else to consider is a small 12 volt regulated power supply. Something like this.....

http://www.amazon.com/Pyramid-PS8KX...3134&sr=1-35&keywords=12 volt dc power supply

I've used this device to op-test circuits once installed. A small power supply produces enough power to get lights and accessory circuits working but not enough power to burn things up if you make a mistake.

Once you do some reading and have a basic understanding of circuits/wiring spend some time searching this forum. It's a gold mine of information.

Good Luck....MIA

7. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Home Depot has some okay cheap testers for about $10. For the functions of voltage or continuity you don't need anything fancy. Better units have more built in safeguards and accuracy.

8. Lister

Lister Previous Member

I have this book, and I find it useless for me. Very confusing, poor explanation on some subject or to much on other subject. Poor design, the chapter seam to fly without consistency
    I like book for people who are dumb like me and just want to do the right thing fast and efficiently.
    I have a telephone, I don't need to know how a telephone work. Just tell me where to plug it. You know what I mean.:?:
    So perhaps I am not a good judge on books, I am too practical, or dumb :D.

9. missinginaction

missinginaction Senior Member

Lister, maybe we could work something out and I could buy it off you cheap. My copy is getting kinda worn.:)

1 person likes this.
  10. PAR

Harbor Freight has a self powered unit that's cheap and really all you need.

11. Lister

Lister Previous Member

I am a stupid fool. I mistaken the book by Calder with the one I have which is :
    The Marine Electrical and Electronics Bible by John C. Payne.
    Don't buy it, it is no good.

I will buy the Calder

I apologies for the confusion

12. PAR

There are several books on the subject, some better than others. Read the reviews and overviews and make a choice.

[​IMG]

This is what I recommend the novice as a good entry level, not too technical text.

The book you mention "The Marine Electrical and Electronics Bible" is a comprehensive text and includes stuff just way over the head of a novice. It's not a bad book, though is "thick" and assumes you have a firm grasp on common electrical and electronics.

13. Triscuit

Triscuit New Member

Thank you all for replying plentiful and quick. I've worked out a majority of my problems already with the wiring. I'm leaving some of it the way it is due to difficultly with pulling wires through certain places , but will eventually get to it. Once I'm done wiring ill be working on replacing the entire interior! Another big step. Although I'm not working with a fancy boat I hope to make it into something I can be proud of. The yellow turd will see its day once again.

Attached Files:

14. PAR

If your plan is to pull the insides out, this is a golden opportunity to rewire without the hassles of fishing wire through tight spots.

Two thoughts though. Sometimes it's advantageous to place a conduit (plastic pipe) someplace in the hull, so you can easily pass wires or cables from one end of the boat to the other. A common location is from the helm to the splash well. The other thought is, if you have one wire located somewhere, it can be used as a "fish" to pull more wires through to the same locations.

15. djaus

djaus Salted Nut!

Post removed by user. Reason: irrelevant post.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.