Ankon Marine--Steel

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by sloop2, Feb 5, 2007.

1. sloop2

sloop2 Junior Member

I have been lurking in the forum to get a crash course education in metal boat design and building. My purpose for this is that I have entered into an agreement to purchase a 1989 Ankon Marine custom 52' (cutter).

Little is known about the past several years of ownership however I have been provided a complete photo-log of the construction process from framing to interior fitting. I believe the design and construction were carried out to a high quality based on what I have seen and understand. My intent in posting here is to request opinion on custom boats build by this South African firm (now gone) and to gather any information that may be of particular concern in looking at a boat that is now 18 years old. I do intend on hiring a qualified marine surveyor but would appreciate whatever advice or information members can offer.
    Thanks
    Dan

2. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Dan,

Check out Wynand's website "steelboatbuilder.com".

He is a South African & may very well know of this company.

You may wish to invest in some steel boat building books. Though the one you are interested in is already built- they will provide valuable basic info.

Take care.

TGoz

3. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Dan,

Regarding surveyors, they are not all created equal. Get one who has experience in steel boats.

Before surveying I would purchase a small headlamp & inspection mirror and get a thorough look at every bilge area you can. Any cockpit/ deck lockers would warrant a good look also.

TGoz

4. sloop2

sloop2 Junior Member

Thank you.

Any and all information will be helpful. The sloop suffered a break in the rigging and the mast snapped about 300 miles offshore. The yacht has tankage for about 1,100 nm so the crew made it safely to port in North Carolina. Apparently, the prior owner was intent on getting the yacht to Spain for a refit but recently gave up and subsequently put it up for sale.

Thanks again. Dan

5. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

Yes, I do know of this company - used to be one of my competitors....

Ankon Engineering CC was based in Cape Town, South Africa and operated from early 1980's to about 1991 if I am not mistaken. Although this company built a few one off custom designs in steel, it was more famous for building some of Dudley Dix designs. It started off with the first design Dudley Dix produced as a professional designer (originally commissioned by Brain Alcock at the time) in the mid 80's, called the "Pratique 35". This was a multi chine hull.

Later Ankon Engineering commissioned their own designs by Dix called the Ankon 38 & 40 that was in fact a larger version of the "Pratique 35" and was built as a round bilge steel hull. The Ankon 40 only differs mainly from the 38 by the addition of a swimming platform if I remember correctly;)

My personal view is that Ankon Engineering CC was instrumental in the mid 80' making Dudley Dix known if not the reason for his fame.....

6. cearle39

cearle39 New Member

A Funny Thing

Hiya;

It seems I am interested in the same boat that this gentleman has been asking questions about. I didn't pursue it because in February it was listed as "Sale Pending" and now it is back on the market. So this all begs the question. Did the sale not go through because of a problem with the boat or did Sloop2 have a change of plans or finances. Hopefully Sloop2 still reads the posts on this site. I'll check back later. Anyone else interested in looking at the boat it is on yachtworld listed as 52' Ankon Marine Sloop. I'd love any feedback from people more experience than myself on this steel sailing vessel.

Thanks,

Cliff

7. sloop2

sloop2 Junior Member

ankon

This boat is in need of major restoration. Please email me with how I can reach you and perhaps I can help you sift through the many issues.
    Regards,
    Dan

8. cearle39

cearle39 New Member

Ankon Marine Sloop

Hiya;

I sent an email to the broker and he gave me back a huge amount of information. The boat is indeed in need of a powerful amount of work. More than I can tackle at this point in time in either money or time terms. Such is life. She used to be a pretty boat. Thanks for the help but I'll be letting this boat go by.

Thanks,

Cliff

And so the search continues... :(

9. Maasbracht

Maasbracht New Member

ankon 52

I'm interested in the ankon 52.
    If anybody can give me some more info regarding the status, pics etc it would be very much appriciated.

10. acraxton

acraxton New Member

Ankon Steel Boats

I know that this is 2 years after the original query, but if you want to know anything about Ankon Steel Boats I can help... I was one of the owners of the company - Anthony

11. stephen enright

stephen enright setephen enright

hi all my name is stephen i am now the owner off that ankon 52 what a fantastic boat she is
    i carried out the repairs to the boat and sailed it home to ireland in SEPTEMBER 2008
    at the moment i am going to take the boat out off the water and spend 2 years refitting her , would love too chat too acraxon and any one elce get some info, would love Too have some photo off her so i can restore her to her original condation with some improvement ,with a bit off hindsight
    i hope too carry out most if not all the work my self, i spent 1 week in bock marina and sandblasted her under the water line she is ok for a boat that wasn't looked after in her later years but she shine with a bit off TLC YA HAHAHA and for shore money
    my e mail add is enright.stephen@gmail.com
    stephen

12. acraxton

acraxton New Member

email sent direct to Steven...
    Anthony

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.