Galley worktop material

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by mpe, Sep 10, 2013.

1. alan white

alan white Senior Member

I used a unique material for a countertop on my 23 ft cruiser. It was a material sold for cutting boards. I no longer have the source except to say it was food service related and it was about $200.00 a 4 x 8 sheet about 10 years ago. 1/4" thick though available in many thicknesses, it is similar to the resin type material once used to make block cheeks and similar parts for sailboat rigging (phenolic?). It comes a light brown but it ages beautifully turning a darker brown. It takes up to 350 degrees f and any kind of water submersion. It is very very hard but cuts with carbide easily.
    I had it in use as a counter for many years and it cleaned easily and looked great (though not anally perfect like formica, it acted more like real wood, which is one of its ingredients.

2. Herman

Herman Senior Member

3. wet feet

wet feet Senior Member

Corian is the best-and most expensive-solution.You will only be able to buy it from an approved Corian installer as Dupont will not sell it direct to anybody else.Be sure you are sitting down when they tell you the cost.....

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.