The new forum format

Discussion in 'Forum Questions and Suggestions' started by gonzo, Nov 9, 2005.

?

How do you find the new format?

Poll closed Dec 9, 2005.
  1. I think it is better

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. I think it is worse

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  3. No difference

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  1. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The new format will take some time to get used to. I suppose it makes it easier to find a particular post. On the other hand, it makes it more difficult to follow the discussion.

2. yipster

yipster designer

hmm, on the bottom left i allready switched back to "bleu and white".
    i belive the original forum setup from years back was by far the best.
    times change, uniformity rules and even XP still gets me confused.

3. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

The significant changes were all made with the 3.0x -> 3.5x upgrade back on October 5th. If you have a minute or two, what specifically about the format or functionality would you like to see changed or improved? I can't promise that I'll be able to make the changes overnight, but this thread could certainly serve as a useful wish list.

4. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

I toggled back to the blue and white. Other than that as long as you guys are here I’m happy.
    Gary :D

5. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Umm.... what exactly changed? Perhaps I'm just getting used to all my dozens of programs all updating themselves all the time and just don't notice changes anymore.... but I can't really find much different, other than slightly tweaked menu structures.

6. yipster

yipster designer

i still like the material and old layout in the rest of the site now only in small links in the top banner right under the masthead.
    maybe its becouse i just uploaded some pics in the gallery that i noticed the link to that galary in my avatar is gone.
    something else i didnt quit understand is why some of the animated gif pics get blurry.
    has something to do with size and storage? i'll try again.
    for the rest i'm with Gary, it's a fine forum Jeff, i'm happy :D

7. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

I can confirm what you already know - there is a problem with the way the gallery software resizes animated gifs to create the medium-sized and thumbnail images server-side. Because of gif-format licensing issues, gif support was there, dropped, and now brought back again by the software we use for resizing (PHP's GD or Imagemagick) I'll see if during the coming week I can find a solution for the animated gif bug.
    Should be back now :)

8. JEM

JEM Senior Member

I still miss the "posts since your last visit" link. I tried new link on the upper left called "unread posts" but don't care for it. It gives you a list of what's new and then a list of unupdated posts.

But I'm finding that the list of unupdated posts do in fact have updates since my last visit. So I have to scroll through 8 pages to try and pick out what I want to read. The list does not decrease in size, even if I visit an hour or 2 later.

9. Skippy

Skippy Senior Member

Thanks for having this thread.

1. Please install a button in each forum to mark the forum read. My old clunker takes ten seconds to bring up and click the menu.

2. Please reinstate the feature where each thread is automatically marked read when I back out of it, and the forum page is automatically updated. That was very convenient.

Updated means
    a) the little arrow boxes that take me to the first unread post disappear unless a new post has been made in that thread.
    b) the thread titles are rearranged as necessary to reflect any new posts to that forum.

That's all! :)

10. Corpus Skipper

Corpus Skipper Hopeless Boataholic

I never mastered all the doodadery of the old version, so the new is just a continuing saga. No real complaints tho, other than things are getting pretty spread out. There's so much here now there's no way I can keep up with it all (and that's a GOOD thing:D ) but hey, that's what the SEARCH feature is for (hint, hint) right? Keep up the good work Jeff! A+

11. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

Many thanks Craig!!

12. Oyster

Oyster Senior Member

Since my last attempt at this forum and format, it does seem to be a great improvement here. I do like the unread box, when I log on and take a wuick look around before scanning the boards. Cheers

13. Buildboats

Buildboats Senior Member

gallery pics

Hello all boaters How long can it take for the content viewers to approve a gallery upload?

14. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

Sorry for the delay - the images are live now.

15. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

the site is great. im not to computer smart anyway, thankyou for your work.

< gallery uploads | Thumbnails??? >
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.