Plans sought for Fkicka 20 "Like" boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by longfellow, Aug 29, 2012.

1. longfellow

longfellow Junior Member

I am wondering if there is a set of plans out there for something that resembles the above classic, in wood. I am aware of the packages offered by CKD and am not interested in going that route. It will not be identical of course but if you NA's and designers wish to weigh in regarding general hull shape, seaworthiness, rig, stability, performance; what might be a close match regarding these properties as well as a fair resemblance of that beautiful shape, that is currently available as a complete set of plans (construction method is not important as long as it is one of the common methods used today; ply, strip, solid planks.... and I suppose if you consider it well worth a look then neither am I particular whether it is smooth sided, multi-chine, or a simple Vee). I am just looking for availabe alternatives that might be considered reasonably close approximations to the "theme, performance, and visual impact" of this great design.
    Thanks,
    Ed

2. alan white

alan white Senior Member

3. longfellow

longfellow Junior Member

Not a bad stab at it Alan. I'm no NA but the lines shure do hint of the Flicka more than a little bit. Nice job. Thanks.

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Flicka, was designed after Amigo, so maybe the commonality between them is reversed.

Flicka is a unique boat and a much was done to make it provide what it does. The heavy roof crown to hide the tall cabin sides, displacement dragged into the ends to offer volume to the cruiser, etc.

I have a few wooden designs in this range, but I don't a attempt to offer standing headroom in an 18' 2" LWL vessel. Similarly, I don't try to force 3 tons of volume in this LWL as well, which is much better suited for one ton.

Plans for Flicka used to be available, though I'm not sure who's handling them, Bruce Bingham, Nor'star Marine or Pacific Seacraft. Naturally, this would be the 'glass version, but a conversion could be made for not much money. Strip planked and cold molded methods seem most viable. I do understand wooden ones have been done over the years and several rig choices exist too.

5. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

6. longfellow

longfellow Junior Member

Also a fair representation David.
    Thank You.

7. taniwha

taniwha Senior Member

not sure why we are searching for alternatives of a perfect design, there are still Flika hulls laying around here in South Africa. I think it is an awesome design.

8. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

Flicka.jpg

Flicka has a very different shape than Amigo, a much better keel.

9. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Sounded like the original poster wants to build a wood boat similar to Flicka.

Why is the Flicka design "perfect"?

What is it "perfect" for. Obviously not racing or taking a group of friends for a sail, and it would not work very well for the type of coastal cruising we enjoy.

10. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

11. longfellow

longfellow Junior Member

Why Flicka? That's like asking the guy Why Redheads?
    A nice, but fery general overview may be found in Vigor's "Twenty Boats To Take you Anywhere" which actually has many pages dog-eared in my personal copy.
    Yes, the original poster intends to make this his third building project.
    Thanks for all of the replies guys. I also found Atkins' Perigee which is speaking to me.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.