Yacht tender that does it all Ideas?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by svloki1, Sep 3, 2012.

1. svloki1

svloki1 New Member

My first post :)

I am looking at plans for a building a dinghy in either strip plank, plywood, or possibly a hybrid of the two techniques. Size around 12-14 feet. I will make it nesting.

The hard part is that I like 3 different boats; one that rows well, One that sails like a race boat, and one that planes under power with 2 adults.

Is this too much to ask in one dinghy?

Pic is my current dinghy, planes well with 2 adults, rows ok, I think would not be a great sailboat.

Ideas appreciated!

Bruce

Attached Files:

2. Silver Raven

Silver Raven Senior Member

Gooday 'svloki1' - Bruce - Not long ago I spotted the best little sailing/rowiung/o/bmotor dinghy I've seen in 40 years - made by some people in the West coast of USA>

info@PTwatercraft.com - - PT11 nesting dinghy - not cheap but the best I've ever come across.

I've spent 50 years building, designing, sailing & racing yachts for my living. Ciao, james

3. svloki1

svloki1 New Member

Thanks James

Very sweet design!

I especially like their attention to details- rounded stem, foil shaped blades. They got it right with the 4 reinforcing "knees" on the aft divider bulkhead.

Not sure about the decked bow section. Looks really uncomfortable to sit up there when under power.

The only thing I would like is ability to plane under both sail and power. Might be asking for too much.

I agree, 1,100 for basic kit is seems pretty high. The hardware does look very cool.

Attached Files:

• pins.jpg
      pins.jpg
      File size:
      22.8 KB
      Views:

4. svloki1

svloki1 New Member

For a mere 580 USD they sell a set of 4 of those really cool stainless connectors.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.