Making modificaitons to another designers drawing

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by gmckonly, Feb 21, 2012.

1. gmckonly

gmckonly gmckonly

I've been hired to make modifications to a design so that it can be built a different method the one it was originally designed for. The designer did not have time to do this work and is fine with me doing it. My question is how to reflect the correct information in the title box. I was originally thinking to indicated I have modified it but put his name and address in it as is on the original design. Then I was thinking this is not correct as he didn't do the sheet with the modifications. These are new sheets that someone interested in them will have to buy his plans and then my modifications if they want to build the same way my original client wants to. Any thoughts on what the title box should say?

2. Wavewacker

Wavewacker Senior Member

I don't know how much room you have in the box, but why don't you state that the original design by so and so and then say modified by yourself and say see footnotes; then describe the situation in a footnote. This is generally what is done in other professions such as audits, legal opinions or scientific research, etc. Your obligation is to make clear who has credit for what, isn't it?

3. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

If you use the name of the original designer to promote your modification you must have the permission of the original designer .

If you modify the design and re engineer to your own specs under your own name ?

Hmmm, I don't know, its a fine line that might involve lawyers and bad vibes...

A very good person to ask for guidance is the original designer.

4. gmckonly

gmckonly gmckonly

Michael,

You're right, I've emailed the designer. Luckily the drawings I'm doing are something he is already aware of.

5. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

I would say that it depends on how much of the original design is still there. If, at the end of the process you have come up with something different in terms of styling, structural layout and construction method, then imho it is a new boat which could as well be called - your design. However, giving due credits to the designer of the original boat would be a appreciable display of good manners.

6. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

This is a simple case. You preformed a conversion, which is wholly different from design ownership. You worked around and with the existing property, to satisfy a client's need. What you did not do, is create the design, you made scantlings and build method changes.

Simply put, the original designer deserves the credit, with a foot note about the method conversion by you. A Calkins Bartender is still a Bartender, even if you converted it to a dried pasta core, carbon fiber sandwich, building method.

7. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Pass the Marinara please!

1 person likes this.
  8. Petros

Petros Senior Member

This is not an unusual circumstance in other industries, your job is just to make clear what is your contribution and what is original design. either foot notes, balloons on the drawing, or separate sheets is a good way to do this.

Often buildings, towers, even aircraft are altered extensively either in the field or before they are built, many times without the original engineers knowledge. Notice to the previous designer is not required at all (though not a bad idea), but clear distinction between the original designers' work and the new designer is required.

9. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Bingo Petros. I've done a far bit of "modifications" to plans over the years. I always supply separate drawings, with indications of where they fit in the original plans set if necessary (replacement or supplement too, etc.). The first thing I put in the box is the design and designer, then what's been done and by who.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.