FYI Common Grounds Newer Stereos

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by KnottyBuoyz, Apr 6, 2008.

1. KnottyBuoyz

KnottyBuoyz Provocateur & Raconteur

I just ran across a situation involving a marine stereo refit. The old boat was wired with a common ground for the rear set of speakers and the fwd set of speakers. In the olden days (1987) when this boat was built it was probably ok or a common practice. The boat had a switch on the dash which disrupted the common ground to shut off the rear speakers.

I wanted to upgrade the stereo with a Jensen 5112 and Remote which I picked up off of e-bay w/4 new speakers for under $200. First time I set it all up using the old wire the speakers would cut out at moderate volume and the unit would overheat. I posted some Q's on another BBS I frequent and got some good info from some audio techs. Here's basically what happened....

Had I not figured it out with help I probably would have ruined the unit. I ran all new speaker wires independently to each speaker and this solved the problem. Trying to trace the old wiring which was pinned between bulkheads and hull was an exercise in futility so new was the best option for me. For a relatively cheap unit (maybe 1 or 2 yrs use out of it before we sell the boat) it'll be fine and sounds pretty good. I especially like the remote at the helm.

FYI

Rick

2. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

Whether you can do it rather depends on way the amp is built. However, if you take a modern push/pull amp, then the black wire going to the speaker is not ground anyway, thus connecting two together is a bad idea.

For op-amps where the output is referenced to 0v. Connecting grounds between speakers will work but it is bad practice.

The easiest solution is to run twin-core cable to each speaker, then connect to the correct +/- on the amp.

There's loads of info on amplifier circuits if you google for them.

Cheers All,

Tim B.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.