Furniture Finishes - Varnish verses Polyurethane

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by kach22i, Feb 16, 2011.

1. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I wouldn't buy the varnish from Progressive Epoxies (site listed just above this). They openly admit they don't know the formulation, nor the base oil, though they assume it's linseed, rather the tung. Linseed will darken (turn black) with age, which is why good varnishes use tung. I suspect they're just re-badging someone else's stuff.

2. kach22i

kach22i Architect

I did a test batch of lacquer and one of varnish at the same time. Less than 1-SQ. Ft. of surface material area, and after cleaning the brushes I had to leave the house. The fumes were that bad even after taking the cleaning rags outside.

The lacquer reminds me of model airplane dope I used to use on tissue paper covered balsa framed aircraft when I was a teenager. Cheap buzz but not the intended result.

The shellac sealer with a polyurethane top coat is almost as nice as what I can do with varnish alone, and that is close to lacquer without evicting every living thing from the house for several hours.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.