Fumes from Epoxy Resin?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by MarkIFC, Dec 3, 2007.

1. 2rtistic

2rtistic New Member

Recommendation for low odor low toxic low viscosity crystal clear Epoxy Resin

I'm looking for recommendations for low odor low toxic low viscosity crystal clear Epoxy Resins. My uncle built boats and used them but from what I remember they smelled horrid and made me feel ill. I suffer from allergies and sinus problems so I am looking for something benign. If anyone could suggest a good brand, I'd really appreciate it - not too expensive though. Or if anyone could suggest companies that send samples so that I could test them outside and see how bad they are. I've tried searching the internet but since I know very little about resins period, my head starts swimming after an hour or so of looking and I cannot tell which one I should try.

Jimbo 1490 - you seem to know a lot about resins so your help would be especially appreciated!:confused:

2. Jimbo1490

Jimbo1490 Senior Member

What are you going to do with the resin? Hand layup composites? Casting or potting? Why does it need to be clear?

Jimbo

3. 2rtistic

2rtistic New Member

Jimbo, I'm using it for casting

I'm an artist and need it for casting primarily, thus the necessity for clear resin. If I need to, I add pigments to it to achieve what I'm looking for in the way of color.

Thanks for replying back to me so quickly! :)

4. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

5. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

if smells and chemicals mess with his allergies wouldnt epoxy be last on his list? i thought there was stronger allergic reactions to epoxy then others,,even though with other resins you wont get the "clear"

6. 2rtistic

2rtistic New Member

Thanks for the link Pericles.

7. 2rtistic

2rtistic New Member

the1much,

Actually I had read on the internet on a jewelry making site that epoxy was one of the least toxic. Now I know, thanks to Jimbo 1490, that it depends on what is in the mix. On some of those jewelry sites they carry some that they claim have virtually no odor but since I am sensitive, I thought I'd do more research.

Oh, and I'm a woman! :)

8. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

West System with the #207 clear hardener might be suitable for your purposes, 2rtistic. It has the downside of being one of the more expensive brands, but is otherwise a pretty close match to your stated requirements.
    Two tips, if you're going to have significant quantities of any liquid polymer resin around, epoxy or otherwise:
    - Ventilate the area really, really well. I like to prop a window open at each end of the room and hang a large electric fan in one, pointing out. You can get such fans for $5-$20 at the local re-use depot if you don't already have one lying around.
    - Invest in a decent respirator and a suitable set of cartridges. The 3M #6000 facepiece and #6001 organic vapour cartridge seems to work pretty well for epoxy and other polymer resins, although it is certainly not the only option. Switch this for the #60921 organic vapour and P100 combination cartridge if you're going to be sanding the stuff, this one cartridge blocks out most nasties you can get in a home shop or studio. Put the entire thing in a plastic bag when you're not using it; the cartridges last a lot longer if they only have to clean the air you breathe and not the entire house!